Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HID scattering issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default HID scattering issue.

I purchased one of the bi-xenon high/low kits from our vendor section, installed them and was extremely disappointed to see the beam scattered everywhere. One of my friends told me the BiXenon kits with high/low HID are garbage for the most part and that I should replace the bulbs with low beam only or HID low/Halogen High. I've seen complaints from other 2004-2008 F150 owners about the highs being scattered and next to useless, but my low beams are the exact same way.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

That's exactly what replacing stock halogens with HID bulbs does...

Only fix is projectors, HID lows and halogen highs is a work around, but to really rectify the scatter get a real (not recon, eBay, spyder, cheap) projectors.

Try retrofit source.

Read through the All things HID forum.

-------------------------
That's out of the way

I understand your concern, but this is a well known issue with straight up replacement of the bulbs. When light scatters away from a halogen bulb the reflector (bucket) takes that scattered light and reflects it into a usable, organized pattern. Because of the way the light emitted from a halogen bulb differs from that of an HID bulb, you get this "scattering" effect. The position of the source, where the light comes from in relation to the reflector, is off ever so slightly. This VERY slight difference in position is enough to completely throw the effectiveness of the reflector out the window. You get ~70% of the light on the ground, and in the same approximate area as the original halogen, but that missing 30% is the scattered, unorganized light.

The only remedy ("true" remedy) is to refocus, and organize all of the usable light. This is done by the projector.

Last edited by iRub1Out; 07-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: HID scattering issue.