Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

hid lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid lights

I have been thinking of putting hids on my truck (01 supercab lariat) but the more I keep looking into it it looks as if I have to do some wiring and I am not wanting to that I just thought u could take out old bulb and put new one in? When it comes to nuts bolts or gaskets I will dig in but wiring will be a new thing anyone have a set they love or more complicated ones to stay away from?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Most people will recommend a quality HID kit (not from eBay, etc.) most of the top end kits I believe are plug and play, so one end will plug into the trucks harness and then to the ballast and then you plug the light in from the ballast to the headlight socket. If not there's usually two prongs on the end of the wires that come from the ballast to the factory wiring harness and you will just power them to the power and ground inputs on the harness. I'll let someone else chime in on kits to recommend because mine will be flamed and can be unreliable
The following users liked this post:
pipe hand 87 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a proper headlight kit don't use the ones that just replace the bulb on the stock housing. They are not designed for the hid bulbs and tend to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know zrock I hate getting blinded
Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to disagree, because I'm all for getting a proper projector headlight for use with the HIDs, but if you aim them properly a lot of the blinding can be a removed factor from oncoming traffic. The main problem I've always run into is the pattern of the light isn't always the greatest from the halogen housing.

I wish there was a decent projector at a fair price without having to do a retro fit for my 04 because id be all over it!

Quick Reply: hid lights