Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Headlight Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problems

Hello all,

New to the site and looking for some help. Having troubles with my headlights on my f150. I installed my first set of HID's last summer and had no issues with them for over a year, than this summer both ballasts caved on me at different times. I just recently put in a new set from Xenonhids and had no issues with them for just over 3 months than 2 weeks ago I noticed I lost my high/low on my driver side, still had a working light but no change when I hit the switch but everything worked fine on my passenger side. Shortly after that my driver side went out (right after washing the truck so I'm thinking a moisture issue) so I went digging into it a couple days ago and swapped the driver side bulb to the passenger side to see if faulty bulb or something behind it. Driver side bulb works on passenger side so thinking bad ballast driver side. Swapped it out with another ballast and bulb I had kicking around and it worked but no high/low yet again. Driver side bulb in passenger side had high/low, till it caved on me last night.

So my question is, I have heard there is almost like a flap that moves for the high/low, is this correct? Also has anyone had these kind of problems with HID kits? I have checked power and grounds to both ballast to make sure they were getting what they need, and am getting frustrated with having to pull the headlight fixtures over and over, plus side I can have em in and out in 15 min now

Any help is appreciated
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BigIzzy86
Hello all,

New to the site and looking for some help. Having troubles with my headlights on my f150. I installed my first set of HID's last summer and had no issues with them for over a year, than this summer both ballasts caved on me at different times. I just recently put in a new set from Xenonhids and had no issues with them for just over 3 months than 2 weeks ago I noticed I lost my high/low on my driver side, still had a working light but no change when I hit the switch but everything worked fine on my passenger side. Shortly after that my driver side went out (right after washing the truck so I'm thinking a moisture issue) so I went digging into it a couple days ago and swapped the driver side bulb to the passenger side to see if faulty bulb or something behind it. Driver side bulb works on passenger side so thinking bad ballast driver side. Swapped it out with another ballast and bulb I had kicking around and it worked but no high/low yet again. Driver side bulb in passenger side had high/low, till it caved on me last night.

So my question is, I have heard there is almost like a flap that moves for the high/low, is this correct? Also has anyone had these kind of problems with HID kits? I have checked power and grounds to both ballast to make sure they were getting what they need, and am getting frustrated with having to pull the headlight fixtures over and over, plus side I can have em in and out in 15 min now

Any help is appreciated
Assuming your speaking of a plug and play kit and not oem hids, there is no flap. What your thinking of is projector. There is a flap that covers half the output and produces the curoff.

Sounds to me you just need to get some quality parts. When it comes to lighting and electrical you don't wanna skimp out too much. But don't always agree with the higher the price the better the quality. Find a few products and do some research on them. Or just go to someone that you know makes good parts and has a great warranty , cough Theretrofitsource cough..

What's the year of your rig?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Yes you are correct it is a plug and play, and it's in a 11 fx4. I gave up and put my stocks back in for the time being and got my high/low back working on both sides so I guess it is an issue with the kit. Waiting for the manufacturer to get back to me now

Thank you
Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM

The actuator that moves the bulb probably burned out

Last edited by Ford_Muscle; 06-14-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I had this problem on an old set of HID's back in the day. This is one reason HID's became illegal for a time... there was no option for high beams. Then they came out with this idea to move the lense forward/back and that gave you the high beams. Chances are, that is what burned out on your HID light, the little motor/actuator that moves the bulb to change the position, giving you high beams...

sounds like you'll need a new pair of bulbs

Quick Reply: Headlight Problems