Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Bulb Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb Replacement Issues

I've got a question that the answer may be very simple to, but seems a little confusing to me at the moment.

I bought an aftermarket HID Kit and my problem is as follows:

I have an '04 F150 Lariat Edition. The bulb size for the headlights is a 9008/H13.

I bought aftermarket projector headlights that house H1 bulbs.

My question is, should my HID Kit be for H13's or H1's?

I know that had I kept the OEM Headlights on, the H13 Kit would be just fine. But with these aftermarket lights that are housing H1 bulbs, I'm not sure if that's the HID Kit i'd need, or to stick with the 9008/H13.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i recently went thru a similar experience. i had aftermarket head lights in my 05 and asked about a HID kit for it and was told i'de have to get a different kit because i had the H1's also. i never bought the kit cause i traded it off on my new 08. i have the HID's in the new one. hope it works out for you. i would ask your seller about it too make sure tho
Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The H13 HID Kit bulb won't fit in the H1 housing. So it seems that I'd need an H1 HID kit to replace the light's bulb. If I use an H1 kit though, it doesn't seem that I'll be able to connect to my car's factory H13 headlight harness.

Does this mean i'll need an H1 kit and then have to chop off my H13 socket from my factory harness and install an H1 socket? Theoretically, this sounds right... electrically though, I'm not sure how feasible this is.. are there any adapters available for this sort of thing?

Last edited by eroccz; 09-25-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

can you exchange the H13 kit for an H1 kit? if you're gonna use the aftermarket projectors and H1 bulbs, get an H1 kit. my projectors in the 05 took 2 H1 bulbs per side. the kit i looked at could either get a lo or high beam kit for it.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

What "kit" did you say you bought? I too purchased the HID kit from Ebay, but the selling vendor was very **** on asking what bulb and "color" I wanted. I told him my 2005 came with the 9008/H13's, so that is what he sent in the way of his HID bulbs, with the blue 8000w setup.

You should be able to go back to the vendor you purchased from and get the 9008/H13 bulbs for your HID kit. Also be carful in that there are two types of these HID conversions: one only changes the low beam to HID (the high beam in their bulb is "normal"). The higher priced kits (about $30.00 more) will also provide HID for the high beams as well. I went with low beams only, as I rarely need the high beams in my city driving area.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

This may already be a dead issue but when you buy one of those plug and play kits, they dont come with a standard plug on the end that actually connects to your headlight harness. They come with generic connectors that you would slide onto the contacts inside the harness of your light, thereby eliminating the need for custom plugs for each application. Just think of speaker wire connects. Same concept.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have an odd ball one to set up......You will do some cutting and splicing on the harness from the headlights.

Get an H1 HID kit,if you just want low beams only.I did a full retrofit on a Mustang recently for a customer and it wasn't to bad.I could walk you through the procedure if you like,or if you would like you could send me your lamps and your kit and I could take care of the wiring.

Quick Reply: Bulb Replacement Issues