Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

3 way switching for reverse lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3 way switching for reverse lights?

I want to install what amounts to a 3 way switch for some added LED Spots on the rear of the truck. One switch would be through the reverse circuit, tapping off of it and using it as the trigger to a relay. That way whenever I put the truck in reverse I have light. I know how to do this much of it. I want to also run a manual switch (up on the dash) so that if I need extra light at the back of the truck I can turn them on whenever I want, without having to put the truck in reverse and set the park brake.

The question is, do I just wire a diode in line coming from the relay (or both) to keep power from back feeding? I know on the manual switch, as long as the switch is open, there will be no problem. Close it while in reverse and then yeah...problem. If a diode is the answer, any specif size I should be looking for? Anyone else ever done this?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In theory couldn't you just use a switch that feeds into the same relay that the tail lights do? Should be able to pull a hot wire off the 12V socket or anything and feed into a relay which wouldn't turn the backup lights on but would still trigger the relay for the spots.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what about a single pole double throw switch. In position one the reverse wire powers the spots. position two would pull power from???(maybe a ignition hot or accessory circuit ) to power the rear spots.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arffch
what about a single pole double throw switch. In position one the reverse wire powers the spots. position two would pull power from???(maybe a ignition hot or accessory circuit ) to power the rear spots.
Yeah, I thought about that. But I have a digital switch in my Edge Programmer. Keeps me from having to drill holes in the dash.

I actually figured it out a while back. Something I should have remembered from school but I completely forgot about. Diodes. A Diode allows current and voltage to flow in one direction only. So I just put a high current diode from a solar panel system in line on the switch and the reverse trigger wire.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

With the crazy prices of dash panel this is how I installed a double throw single pole switch. This for my rear camera. The switch will have 3 positions ON OFF ON. The switch is mounted in the dash dimmer panel (its the cheapest panel to replace).
The switch also could be mounted at he lower edge of the dash.

The wire to the backups goes to the center terminal off the switch. The wire from the BCM (feed for backups) goes on one end terminal. And the other terminal gets power from whatever you want ...hot all the time or keyed.
The following users liked this post:
mhendrickson81 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

I just use an SPDT switch. One pole allows the normal reverse lamps to trigger the relay, the other pole forces the relay on constant 12v (by again, triggering the relay).
The following users liked this post:
mhendrickson81 (10-11-2018)

Quick Reply: 3 way switching for reverse lights?