Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not an Airstream

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:23 AM
That's Mr. Tippy to you.

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Why not an Airstream

So I'm in the market to buy my first trailer. Nothing too big. But considering size... why should i not get an Airstream Sport for my first one? Relying on you experts for some insight.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

No reason, It's a very good TT and while not an investment they hold value better.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Only reasons I can think of NOT getting one is 1) they're stupidly expensive, and 2) not as roomy as equivalent length campers with slides.

Course, making sure your tow vehicle is capable is important. I see a lot of folks towing airstreams with inadequate tow vehicles....and it puzzles me. You spend serious coin on an airstream, surely you can afford to do the correct tow vehicle!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Only reasons I can think of NOT getting one is 1) they're stupidly expensive, and 2) not as roomy as equivalent length campers with slides.

Course, making sure your tow vehicle is capable is important. I see a lot of folks towing airstreams with inadequate tow vehicles....and it puzzles me. You spend serious coin on an airstream, surely you can afford to do the correct tow vehicle!
+1,000

OP, you have not yet purchased your trailer. Take this time to learn your truck's capacities.

First, review the yellow sticker on your door jamb. Then review the sticker on your hitch. Then read through some of the threads in this section helping you do calculations as to your limits.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
"tis true... you could probably buy three fiberglass sided campers for the cost of one Airstream.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

No reason not to if you can afford one. I like my AS.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Airstream trailers are more aerodynamic all around so they are easier to tow, which is why a lot are seen behind inadequate tow vehicles. Probably one of the easiest large trailers to tow next to a horse trailer.

However, as mentioned, always research the vehicle you have to make sure that the trailer you look at falls within the weight specs of your particular vehicle. Besides weight, also keep length in mind. Usually weight will exceed before length, but not always the case. You really don't want anything longer than 32' tops behind a Screw with the 6.5' bed, or 30' behind the 5.5' bed. Anything longer and you are better off with a Superduty.

If the Airstream is within specs, you like it and can afford it, get it! One of the reasons they hold value is due to their construction, aluminum skins last a lot longer than the fiberglass or sheeted box trailers. They are tube shaped so water runs off and can't pool like on a flat roof, and the roof and sides are all like one piece so no square seams to have seals go bad with.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Even at maximum capacity up to 4,500 lbs., you should have no issues towing with most F150s. I pull a 21-foot hybrid that tops that weight and I have no problems.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 PM
That's Mr. Tippy to you.

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks everyone. In all honesty I'm only looking at the sport or maybe the smallest flying cloud. I have notice they hold on to their value better than most which is great for resale value. However they truly are more expensive. I guess the real question for me then is if build quality is another reason why it's more expensive. I'm thinking since this will be my first TT purchase I may just go with a "cheaper" (cost not build) brand to get my trailer feet wet.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii

They are tube shaped so water runs off and can't pool like on a flat roof, and the roof and sides are all like one piece so no square seams to have seals go bad with.
. They have riveted seams on the roof and end caps, plus rivets all along the sides and around the doors and windows ....Leaky Airstreams are common. A big flaw in their construction is a wood subfloor. And rotted floor Airstreams are not uncommon. A leak will run down the inner skin and soak the edges of the floor. If you own a AS, you have to be vigilant with looking for leaks......Just today, I pulled a suspected leaky vent off mine and resealed it.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (01-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Why not an Airstream