Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What method do you use to winterize your trailer/camper?
Blow out lines
16.67%
Blow out lines and add anti-freeze
45.24%
Drain lines and add anti-freeze
28.57%
I need to winterize?
0%
What's Winter
9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Who's winterizing their travel trailer and what method?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Default Who's winterizing their travel trailer and what method?

Travel trailer includes 5er or any other kind of camper.

Not sure if I'm taking mine out again or not. Kind of watching the weather.
Last year I just blew out the water lines with compressed air.
I've seen and heard of a few methods. If you do something different than in the poll, please post.

Last edited by TerryD64; 09-20-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Trying the blowing method for the first time! Air hose silly's!!!!
Used to pump RV anti freeze in then flush in spring - to much waste, so I just pour it in drains and air in the lines should be good.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

All I've ever done is drain and add anti-freeze (the pink supposedly non-toxic stuff).
I have a friend that blows and adds windshield washer fluid that's rated to -40 deg. because it's cheaper .
Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I drain, blow out and then add the pink stuff (but not in the fresh water tank). I envy those that doesn't need to add the pink stuff in the warmer climate, but up here in the PNW, it does freeze so gotta do our due diligence.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 PM

If there is nothing in the line (except air) why do you feel the need to add anti-freeze back in to the lines? It's my understanding that the expansion and contraction of the water as it turns to ice that causes the damage to the water lines.
Not criticizing, I'm genuinely curious here. It gets very cold here in NoCo around 0 F a few times last year. I had no damage to water lines just dong the blow out wondering if I'm missing something.

I understand using the pink stuff in the traps and toilet and I will be doing that this year as they dried out on me last year and the trailer did not smell great when I went to visit it.

Last year was the first time I had to winterize. I admit I do miss year round camping in So Cal. Hitting the beach spots in the winter was great as they were mostly empty and have stunning views.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I blow out and then add anti-freeze via the fresh water tank. I live in Ottawa (where temps get down to close to -40) and have found that the anti-freeze is sufficient though. Tip 1: drain the fresh water tank and then run your water pump till its dry before blowing out the lines. Tip 2: remember to bypass your water heater (I just wasted a jug after a senior moment),
Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TerryD64
If there is nothing in the line (except air) why do you feel the need to add anti-freeze back in to the lines?
Because I'm **** and OCD lol. Pink stuff are cheaper then fixing stuff. It's hard to tell at times when it'll freeze or not so rather be safe than sorry. One day when retire I will be spending my time in socal for winter, or maybe in florida we'll see!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryD64
If there is nothing in the line (except air) why do you feel the need to add anti-freeze back in to the lines? It's my understanding that the expansion and contraction of the water as it turns to ice that causes the damage to the water lines.
Not criticizing, I'm genuinely curious here. It gets very cold here in NoCo around 0 F a few times last year. I had no damage to water lines just dong the blow out wondering if I'm missing something.

I understand using the pink stuff in the traps and toilet and I will be doing that this year as they dried out on me last year and the trailer did not smell great when I went to visit it.

Last year was the first time I had to winterize. I admit I do miss year round camping in So Cal. Hitting the beach spots in the winter was great as they were mostly empty and have stunning views.
I concur that properly blown out lines will suffice (e.g. your black water flush probably doesn't have any in it and draining your water heater is sufficient). Heck you don't even need to drain your tanks as there is lots of room for expansion. However it takes less than $5 of anti-freeze to prime the entire system (except the heater) so the only downside is more flushing in the spring. (I drain mine into my bucket trap for the following winter anyway).
Old 09-20-2018, 06:57 PM

El Capitan state beach north of Santa Barbara is absolutely beautiful in the off season. You won't be swimming (unless you have a wet suit), but strolling the beach works. (Bring a jacket it gets cold) No reservation taken or needed in winter It's mostly empty and some of the camping loops are even closed off.

There are other state beaches in the stretch between Santa Barbara and Refugio where the 101 turns away from the coast. I liked the bluffs at El Cap the best.

Also further north Central California along PCH (tricky driving for larger rigs n some spots) is Kirk Creek Campground USFS Los Padres National Forest. This is dry camping NO water sewer or electric is available. This is the only campground in Big Sur WEST of PCH and is stunning we have seen and heard whales from here amazing. You will need a reservation well in advance for this one and large rigs may not be possible (My 31 ft 5er is not possible in most of the sites and a tight fit in a few). If coming south head over to PCH at Carmel (Great town to visit) then go south on PCH about 40 miles (It's 2 lane and twisty be advised) Going North head over to PCH at Cambria/San Simeon and go north about 45 miles.

I will miss those sites this winter. But I do get to play in the snow and get 4 seasons now. Overall I much prefer CO to CA
The following users liked this post:
i2oadi2unnei2 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Flush and drain sewer
Drain fresh and hot water tanks
Blow lines
-40 rated washer fluid in traps and toilet just in case

We also leave the drain valves about 45* as we find less chance of the valves freezing and cracking that way.

Yes we seem to get a week of -40 each year. Had no problems with this method.

Quick Reply: Who's winterizing their travel trailer and what method?