Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What weight/size of trailer etc for WDH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Crotchety Old Man

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Default What weight/size of trailer etc for WDH?

Hi guys.
Six banger with no boost owner here. I currently pull a <3000# enclosed v nose 5x12 for work and a <2900# pop up camper for pleasure. We would like to upgrade the camper to something like a 16-18 foot hybrid camper, probably single axle 3500# max weight, but maybe a double axle or something thats max weight is around 4000# if the layout and price are right.
What size or weight or tongue weight of trailer do you start needing a weight distributing hitch?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

500 pounds tongue weight.
The following users liked this post:
GrasslandHVAC (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

This is our TT - 19' 3700# sticker weight and IMHO you definitely need a WDH. We have a relatively inexpensive WDH (drawtite) with 800# bars and a friction type sway device. When we get our next TT we will be upgrading the WDH to a better model with integrated sway control (probably an Equalizer). I mention this because you may be able to negotiate the WDH into the purchase if your going through a dealer.

For the record, our TT pulls great with the current set up. We haven't gone cross country with it but we have done several multi hundred mile trips and from where we live everywhere is a trip up the mountain...

GrasslandHVAC (03-11-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by GrasslandHVAC
What size or weight or tongue weight of trailer do you start needing a weight distributing hitch?

Hitch weight is your limiter. Your truck's receiver hitch has max tongue weight (TW) capacity of 500 pounds without a WD hitch. But the term TW is misleading because it's the total of trailer tongue weight plus the weight of your WD hitch.

Most RV trailers have TW of about 13% of gross trailer weight. Divide that 500 pound max TW by 13% and the answer is a gross trailer weight of 3,846 pounds.

So don't leave home without a good WD hitch. Max hitch weight jumps to 1,050 pounds. Subtract the 100 pounds for the WD hitch, and you can tow a trailer with a max tongue weight of 950 pounds without exceeding the weight limits of your receiver hitch. 950 pounds tongue weight @ 13% tongue weight is a max trailer weight of about 7,307 pounds.

So with a good WD hitch, you can tow the typical 7,000 pound TT without exceeding the weight limits of the receiver hitch.

The payload capacity of your truck may not allow you to tow a trailer that heavy without exceeding the GVWR of your tow vehicle, but that's another calculation unrelated to your question.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
But the term TW is misleading because it's the total of trailer tongue weight plus the weight of your WD hitch.
That's incorrect.

TW means weight put on the ball. The hitch's own weight is never included in the ratings as the ratings are derived with the weight of the hitch included already.

From Reese:
6 - What does TW mean?
TW stands for “Tongue Weight”. This weight capacity measurement is the amount of weight that can be applied safely to the trailer tongue and hitch ball.
TW Definition Link

Another TW Definition Link

Another TW Definition Link

Last edited by Mike Up; 03-12-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by GrasslandHVAC
Hi guys.
Six banger with no boost owner here. I currently pull a <3000# enclosed v nose 5x12 for work and a <2900# pop up camper for pleasure. We would like to upgrade the camper to something like a 16-18 foot hybrid camper, probably single axle 3500# max weight, but maybe a double axle or something thats max weight is around 4000# if the layout and price are right.
You really need to go to rv.net at the travel trailer forum
and the tow forum and the Tow Vehicle Forum. Just post your question to one forum though, as reposting to multiple forums is against rules and will get you banned.

To know what your truck is rated for, we need to know model year, Sport or no sport package, cab configuration (Super Cab or Super Crew), drive train (4X2 or 4X4), Bed size (5.5', 6.5', or 8') What engine (3.7L normally aspirated, 3.5L normally aspirated), what differential ratio (3.15, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10), what tow package (none, HD tow package, Max Tow package), what payload you have from the yellow sticker for tire loading and what you have in the bed/cab as far as cargo(fire wood, bikes, tool box, gas cans, batteries, etc.) and aftermarket accessories (side steps, bedliner, tonneau cover or cap, cargo rails, ect.)

Then we can 'estimate' what you could tow safely.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mike Up; 03-12-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Crotchety Old Man

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I noticed signatures don't show up on mobile devices and most of my info is there.
Truck is 3.7v6 supercab 4x4 with 3.73 gears. I run a fiberglass cab high topper and Decked storage drawer. I have an add a leaf and bfg ko2 load e in 235/80/17. Have a Tekonsha prodigy P2 brake controller.
Does not have factory tow package so truck is rated at 5000lbs max. Ill go check the door sticker for gcwr and gawr.
So sounds like even a 3500 lb trailer could end up needing a wdh depending on its tw and also how its loaded up.

Last edited by GrasslandHVAC; 03-13-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: More info

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
TW means weight put on the ball.

Yeah, you're probably right. Total hitch weight (TW plus the weight of the WD hitch) reduces the available payload capacity of the tow vehicle, but it probably doesn't apply to the TW rating of the receiver.

The hitch's own weight is never included in the ratings as the ratings are derived with the weight of the hitch included already.

No, there you stubbed your toe. The weight of the shank, head and ball mount part of the hitch that is carried by the receiver varies from a few pounds for a simple weight-carrying ball mount to around 100 pounds for a good sway-control hitch such as an Equal-I-Zer, on up to almost 200 pounds for a ProPride or Hensley Arrow. Those weights are not "included already" in the TW rating of the receiver.
Velosprout (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

No, there you stubbed your toe. The weight of the shank, head and ball mount part of the hitch that is carried by the receiver varies from a few pounds for a simple weight-carrying ball mount to around 100 pounds for a good sway-control hitch such as an Equal-I-Zer, on up to almost 200 pounds for a ProPride or Hensley Arrow. Those weights are not "included already" in the TW rating of the receiver.

Correct, and the weight of the weight distributing hitch must also be included as cargo weight in payload calculations as well as hitch capacity calculations; contrary to what some argue in other threads.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:49 PM

You are incorrect, but no sense in arguing when you feel your correct. I've provided links from manufacturers what TW is, yet you tell me that the manufacturers of the hitches are even wrong. Propride was one of the links, btw. Tongue Weight (TW) – The static downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler.

As I said, towing knowledge here is VERY VERY limited. All these towing questions should be routed to the rv.net forum where the subject of towing trailers has many more people in the know than here.

Last edited by Mike Up; 03-18-2017 at 07:09 PM.