Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need?

Looking at 2012 4x4's. Truck will be used as a daily driver and also to pull 19 foot bassboat a few times a week. Not sure between the EB and the 5.0. Also need advice on the rear end. Wanted a 3.73 LSD but see that is not an option in most configurations anymore, but the elocker is. I won't be going offroad, and I do not have any mountains to deal with in my area, but I do see some snowy conditions occasionally. My last truck was a 99 5.4 4x4 with 3.73 non-LSD, and I usually needed to go into 4h to get up the slick boat ramps. Can I get by with a 3.55 or do I need the 3.73, and should I go with the elocker? Two nice trucks on local dealer lots that have caught my eye are a 5.0 xlt Screw with a 3.55 regular axle, and a 5.0 fx4 with the 3.73 elocker. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Price is a factor for me, and I plan to keep the truck a long time. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Dc190
Looking at 2012 4x4's. Truck will be used as a daily driver and also to pull 19 foot bassboat a few times a week. Not sure between the EB and the 5.0. Also need advice on the rear end. Wanted a 3.73 LSD but see that is not an option in most configurations anymore, but the elocker is.
3.73 LS is available with both the 5.0L and EcoBoost engine, but only as part of the HD Payload pkg. If you don't want those 7-lug 17" wheels that are part of the HD Payload pkg, then you don't want the 3.73LS axle.

I have the eLocker in my 2012. I like it a lot better than the LS that was in my previous truck. It's not automatic activation the way an LS is. You have to remember to mash the button to turn it on, but then the axle is locked with no ifs, ands or buts until yoiu mash the button to turn it off.

I won't be going offroad, and I do not have any mountains to deal with in my area, but I do see some snowy conditions occasionally. My last truck was a 99 5.4 4x4 with 3.73 non-LSD, and I usually needed to go into 4h to get up the slick boat ramps. Can I get by with a 3.55 or do I need the 3.73, and should I go with the elocker?
If the bass boat is the heaviest trailer you'll be towing, then the 3.55 eLocker was made with you in mind. Ford's tow rating indicates that the 5.0L 4x4 SuperCrew with 3.55 axle can tow a trailer that grosses up to about 6,500 pounds with no problem.

Two nice trucks on local dealer lots that have caught my eye are a 5.0 xlt Screw with a 3.55 regular axle, and a 5.0 fx4 with the 3.73 elocker. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?
You've lived with a truck with an open axle, so you know if you can continue to put up with that. But for pulling that boat up a slick ramp, I'd want the eLocker.

Price is a factor for me, and I plan to keep the truck a long time.
Then let's start over. Forget compromising what you want. The FX4 costs too much for your needs, but the XLT doesn have the eLocker. So resign yourself to special ordering your truck, then when it gets here you'll have exactly what you want that you're willing to pay for. Plus it will be a 2013 instead of last year's leftover.

Go to www.ford.com, choose F-150 then "build and price". Choose the cab, engine, 4x4, and trim you want, then choose 3.55 E-Locker diff. Then add any do-dads you just gotta have. Such as the tailgate step that's a life saver for an old man like me. I also ordered the bed steps because I'm a shorty and cannot reach into the bed without climbing up on something.

Another trick: The XLT is nice, but it costs a lot more than the XL. So maybe order an XL with the XL Equipment Group 101A which makes the XL into a nice truck with power everything, cruise control, nice cloth seats and trailer tow pkg, plus it has the chrome bumpers that doesn't shout WORK TRUCK!.

If you can't live with the thought of waiting until October for your new truck to arrive, then get your dealer to "locate" a 2012 truck that's already on a dealer's lot somewhere. You don't have to settle for those two you saw. Build and Price your truck on Ford.com, print out what you decide you can afford, then give that printout to your dealer to use in his locate search. He may not find an exact match in your color, but he might get close enough to satisfy you and save you a coupla months wait time.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-17-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure where you are located but in Canada the remaining 2012's have killer deals on them. I just picked up a 5.0 FX4 luxury for 14000 off sticker. Just last month the same truck was $7500 more and a couple of months ago the best deal was $1000 off for costco members. Also there are tons of XLT's still floating around. Any dealer worth his salt should be able to do a dealer trade for a very close truck to what you want without any extra cost.

I see that the deals haven't hit the US yet but I am sure they will. I bought my truck with the luxury pack for less than a 5.0 XLT with convenience and towing package are selling for in the US right now.

Remember that the towing numbers given in the specs is with only a single moderately sized person in the truck and no cargo so treat them with a grain of salt. If you need to tow close to 6000lb then get the 3.73 and enjoy the over 9000lb tow rating.