Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I look for in a quality enclosed trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Question What do I look for in a quality enclosed trailer?

Having never owned a trailer before, I started looking around via the internets at what was available. What I found were prices all over the scale with, of course, every single seller/manufacturer claiming that their design/features were the best thing since sliced bread.

So I am here, asking what I should look for when buying an enclosed trailer. Some capabilities I would like-

Rear ramp door strong enough to load the largest (1000+ lb) motorcycles
Payload capacity and sized for at least 4 large motorcycles
V-Nose or something similar for fuel economy purposes
Tandem axles
At least 7' interior height so that I don't have to stoop over to avoid cracking my head (I'm 6'5").

So, what else to I look for in a quality trailer?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You get what you pay for.
Cry once by spending more when you buy it, or cry a little every time you use it.
The bitter taste of inferior quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.
There is a lot of junk out there. Some manufacturers only make junk. Quality ones have been forced to make several different grades or lines to be able to compete with the cheap junk. As a result, you can get a good trailer or junk from the same brand. One tell tale sign of a cheap trailer is a chip board, or osb floor. At minimum, I would demand treated plywood floor, or even better, aluminum floor. Completely sealed wiring is another biggie. If you see exposed bare wires underneath, run. I would also look for torsion axles, they really do ride better than a 4 spring setup. If motorcycles are your primary cargo, some brands offer adjustable wheel chocks on a sliding rail. Those work slick. Lastly, I would look for all aluminum construction. You won't find all of these things on a cheap trailer. My father used to say "good equipment isn't cheap, and cheap equipment isn't good". Every time I go cheap, I regret it. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:11 AM

One more thing. Tie downs. The more the better. The best I have seen are the rails that run along the sides of the floor. This gives you virtually unlimited places to secure your straps. Nothing is worse than having your $20,000 motorcycles in a trailer with nowhere to secure them to.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:14 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Doesn't meet my interior height requirement, but I like this idea. It has the internal rail system. No idea on the wiring quality. what about frame construction?

https://www.prolinetrailersales.com/...ve-out-trailer
Old 09-20-2016, 03:16 AM

That's a steel framed trailer. Most of those have issues with dissimilar metal corrosion where the steel meets the aluminum. It can be done, but given the low price of that trailer, I would say that it'll have issues in a few short years. It more than likely has 4 spring suspension as well. I honestly would expect to pay twice that for a quality trailer of that style.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 AM

These guys make a real nice one.
http://www.mgtrailer.com/2017-aluma-7x20-enclosed-7-interior-cargo-black-new-motorcycle-trailer-mn-i1962473
Any dealer would add the adjustable tie down rails for you, or you could order one to your exact specs. That's what I would do, as long as I wasn't in a hurry.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Just my opinion the best enclosed trailers are made by InTech Trailers. I have two. One is a 22' toy hauler with living space. The other is a 24' car hauler. The trailers are built to your design. All aluminum. They are not cheap but when I'm hauling a 1.5 million Porsche 918 Spyder I want a trailer that I can trust to work perfect. So another model for you to check out.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
So, what else to I look for in a quality trailer?

I went shopping for a quality cargo trailer about 6'x12'. I lucked out and found a CarMate 7'x14' that had the optional Dexter Torflex axles/suspension and LED tail lights. High quality trailer. Although the name on the trailer is CarMate, it's a motorcycle hauler and too short to be a car hauler.

CarMate trailers are made and sold only "back East", so you won't find a dealer in Texas or west of here. I bought mine from a GI at Fort Hood, so apparently he drug it in from back East somewhere.

CarMate makes all sorts of trailers, including enclosed car haulers, motorcycle trailers and cargo trailers. Rear ramp and Torflex axles are options. Some models have optional raised roofs so tall guys can walk around without bumping their head. Some models have a V-nose either as standard or as an option. Some models have increased GVWR as an option, so 9,900 standard GVWR or
12,000 lb. GVWR, 235/80R16E tires
14,000 lb. GVWR, 235/80R16E tires
16,000 lb. GVWR, 215/75R17.5 OEM tires
Torflex axles
Advantage ("V") front

The smaller trailers have 7,000 lb. GVWR

Also optional are E-track tie downs in the floor and/or sides

So if you want a quality enclosed trailer that meets your needs, CarMate makes it.

http://www.carmate-trailers.com/new_...=2359&DispType=
Old 09-20-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

InTech are on a complete different level that other trailers

that being said...

Haulmark has an all aluminum ALX line out there now
Aluma are built right
Featherlite are bigtime

Things Id look for..
Aluminum framed
Torsion axles
Screwless exterior
1 piece roof

and to a lesser extent a Roof vent

usually if you find a trailer with those 3 prerequisites, they will come with radial tires and aluminum rims.

From there, modifications are limitless
Old 09-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by untraceable
InTech are on a complete different level that other trailers

that being said...

Haulmark has an all aluminum ALX line out there now
Aluma are built right
Featherlite are bigtime

Things Id look for..
Aluminum framed
Torsion axles
Screwless exterior
1 piece roof

and to a lesser extent a Roof vent

usually if you find a trailer with those 3 prerequisites, they will come with radial tires and aluminum rims.

From there, modifications are limitless
What he said.....👍

Quick Reply: What do I look for in a quality enclosed trailer?