Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Distribution Hitch Useless over rough roads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Weight Distribution Hitch Useless over rough roads?

I was looking into a weight distribution hitch for my '07 f150 for a 10k pound cargo trailer. However due to the nature of the device it seems that it can not be used at its full tension over rough roads and speed humps/bumps.

Thats a BIG *** problem for me because any driving done where I live is full of massive road deflections and huge potholes.

Does anyone have any experience running WDH's on rough roads? Or any advice in what to do in this situation? I really wouldn't want to get a gooseneck trailer..

I really don't want my hitch to split open like a banana:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/trailer...-split-216071/

Instruction for a WDH:

"General Operating Instructions for the use of Load Levelling Devices

• Disengage the Spring Bars of the Load Leveller / Weight Distribution system when
driving or reversing into and out of driveways.
• The Load Leveller / Weight Distribution system must be disengaged (the spring/torsion
bars must be released) when –
o Negotiating rough, uneven terrain
o Entering or exiting
?? driveways,
?? short steep gutters,
?? access ramps,
?? speed humps and dips
o negotiating tight, acute turns at low speeds, such as when reversing or
manoeuvring; or
o when travelling up/down abrupt steep inclines
?? i.e. severe, undulating road surfaces, creek crossings etc
• Drivers must proceed with caution when negotiating corrugated roads and approach
inclines slowly whilst the Load Leveller / Weight Distribution system is in use.
o Disengagement of the torsion / spring bars may be necessary to prevent undue
load and stress on the frame / towing coupling and/or hitch assembly.
The above is a general summary of various manufacturers Operating Instructions for the use of Load Levelling Devices. Refer to the manufacturer of your load levelling device/s and/or towing equipment for specific details."

Note the reference to undulating road surfaces. This would cover most country roads.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 PM
2011 F150 XLT super crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Timbern springs I love them
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

We hauled TTs with WD hitches over everything around here and I've never seen that happen. We camp on lakes only accessible by old unmaintained logging roads, through washouts, rutted roads and stuff that required 4wd.

I would not be too worried personally, I think that clause is just a CYA.

Perhaps others can chime in if they've had issues but I've never actually seen it happen.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never knew about all those restrictions

I have a weight distribution hitch/bars and never knew or followed all those warnings. Never had any issues on bad roads or off road in camp grounds. I suppose if you went fast down a dirt road with many water holes and got the trailer really coming down heavy on the hitch often enough, maybe something would happen. You'd probably be bouncing up and down in the cab though too. I have been backing up my trailer without releasing the bars either.

Last edited by frgf150; 07-24-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: c
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

With most types of sway control WDH, you can backup without problems.

The Equal-i-zer 4-point manual says this:
Do not tow your trailer on rough roads. Do not tow your trailer through profound ditches, dips, or swales. Excessive strain on the spring arms and hitch head may cause hitch fatigue or failure.
But I've never heard of a problem before. Seems pretty rare. Only occurs under really extreme conditions?

If it's really a concern, heavier hitch receivers than Ford's are available http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2011308409

Last edited by brulaz; 07-24-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got about 2,000 miles on the WDH and no issues. I've never unhooked them for parking lots, speed bumps, steep driveways, or back up maneuvers. Honestly didn't know you were suppose to... Hell, the only time I do unhook them is if the trailer is unloaded.
The following users liked this post:
JJAdair (10-12-2020)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been towing travel trailers for almost 20 years and never seen those rules or disconnected over bumps or rough roads. I hook it up and exit my driveway and don't disconnect until it is parked at the destination. I will say that I drive carefully over driveways, speed bumps etc, if you don't everything in the trailer would be thrown all over.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think I'd be more worried about 10,000 behind me with a 1/2 truck lol ran a lot of miles with them and no issue's but at max weight and rough enuf roads any thing is possible
Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

In a word: no.

I've been over roads rough enough to bounce the rear of my 831rlbss (7500-8000 lbs) around and no problems with the WDH or the hitch. Some US roads are pretty bad....even when compared to Canadian roads.

As a matter of fact, the WDH kept the trailer under control on those rough roads. Without it, control would have been a very questionable issue.

That split hitch quoted is most likely an unfortunate combination of manufacturing defect, poor design and/or abuse of some sort. When a hitch point fails, it's normally at a weld, since that's where the stress builds in manufacturing the hitch. For it to fail in the steel at a bend point (also a stress riser) an not the weld is unusual and leads me to believe there's a manufacturing defect in that hitch assembly.

I've been towing (of one sort or another) 35+ years and have never even heard of that happening to anyone. I've seen some pretty bizarre failures, but never that.

If it bothers you after seeing that picture, just make the receiver tube part of you pre-tow inspection list. A pre-tow inspection is something everyone should be doing before moving from the hook up spot anyways. You're down there to check the chains, it's just an extra split second to throw your eyes back and look at the tube.

If your receiver is built like the one in the picture, it's causing you sleepless nights thinking about it and you want to do something, head to a welding shop and have a reinforcing ring put on the forward end of the tube like there is on the rear.

Not sure about what type you have on your 2007, but my 2016 OEM hitch is not built like the one in the "split pic":

Something about the split picture looks "off" to me. Most OEM installed "heavy" hitches in the 2007 era looked similar to this:

Name:  100_0043.jpg
Views: 8622
Size:  98.6 KB

That "split" one pictured might have been a welding shop special or just a poorly built aftermarket one.

Whether or not you want to get 10,000 lbs behind a 2007 F150 I'll leave for the "weight police" to comment on.

They should be along shortly.....

Last edited by Great white; 03-10-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think common sense tells you to sloooowwwww down if you are on extremely rough roads (potholes) or going over speed bumps. I can't even take speed bumps without a trailer above about 8-10MPH.
The WDH is not any more of an issue in those conditions than any other components of your suspension. In my mind, the WDH actually will help, as opposed to being useless. It keeps that weight distributed to your rear and front axle, instead of it all being on the hitch and rear axle.

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution Hitch Useless over rough roads?