Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer TPMS, what are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Trailer TPMS, what are you using?

I just ordered a Rand McNally RV nav unit. It is tablet based so can install apps on it, though not sure if all apps will work yet. I started looking around for app based TMPS and found a few, but again, wont know if compatible until I get the GPS. If I can't find one, then I guess one with a receiver will have to work.

So what are you guys using?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

I use the kind you plug into a 12v power point.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I use a TST brand TPMS, model 507 IIRC, on my double axle TT. No real issues for the most part, although when towing for the 1st trip of the season on Sunday the monitor was acting "stoopid". Check out various RV forums and you'll find numerous threads about the good and bad.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I just ordered a Rand McNally RV nav unit. It is tablet based so can install apps on it, though not sure if all apps will work yet. I started looking around for app based TMPS and found a few, but again, wont know if compatible until I get the GPS. If I can't find one, then I guess one with a receiver will have to work.

So what are you guys using?
So you're going to use this device to pull in TPMS signals from your trailer tires, transmitted via Bluetooth(?) to the tablet?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
So you're going to use this device to pull in TPMS signals from your trailer tires, transmitted via Bluetooth(?) to the tablet?
acdii It's a great idea if you find a an app but Bluetooth will not work in this instance. By standard, the signal isn't strong enough to transmit that far. You will need a wireless link between your sensors and tablet. At least 40' transmission distance, 100' would be much better. Most tablets, phones etc today have wireless reception capability so your probably OK on that end.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
acdii It's a great idea if you find a an app but Bluetooth will not work in this instance. By standard, the signal isn't strong enough to transmit that far. You will need a wireless link between your sensors and tablet. At least 40' transmission distance, 100' would be much better. Most tablets, phones etc today have wireless reception capability so your probably OK on that end.
Something like this comes to mind.

Amazon Amazon

It uses the standard TPMS frequency, and has a transmitter to pass it to the phone. Expensive though which is why I am asking around. Not going to spend a ton for something that may not work.

I did find the backup camera that works with the GPS I bought and got it for $30. I think I might be able to hook it up to the back of the trailer and run the transmitter forward far enough for the GPS to pick it up. For $30, worth a try.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am looking at two on Amazon that are under $60:

ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Universal, Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 4 DIY Sensors $49.99 https://amzn.to/2VlXBo4

TPMS Solar Power Universal Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 4 External Sensors $59.99 https://amzn.to/2Dwoc7E

They pretty much look the same but the reviews on both were decent with a few reviews from Travel Trailer owners.

The TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor w/4 Cap Sensors with Color Display is highly rated but it is $310 https://amzn.to/2VlXBo4

I may not have my trailer again until the end of May and will likely order a TPMS system next month.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM

There are a few of those low priced ones to stray away from. There is a compatibility issue with the threads of the caps and valve stems. They corrode the stems and you can't get the caps off. Read the manuals on the ones you are looking at to see if you need to remove and lube the caps periodically. If so, don't get it.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
There are a few of those low priced ones to stray away from. There is a compatibility issue with the threads of the caps and valve stems. They corrode the stems and you can't get the caps off. Read the manuals on the ones you are looking at to see if you need to remove and lube the caps periodically. If so, don't get it.
I can see where there might be a corrosion problem with the metal-to-metal threads of screw-on sensors if left on the trailer 100% of the time, and worse if the trailer is kept outdoors. I only install mine when using one of the trailers. I have two trailers and install the TPMS valve cap sensors on whichever trailer I'm using, then remove afterwards and keep them in the box they came with. I also store my trailers indoors when not in use.
The following users liked this post:
acdii (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:19 PM

That is actually a very good idea. Can also extend the battery service life by removing the batteries when not in use. It would just need to be a hookup step added, and a stow step added when getting home.
The following users liked this post:
G-Force (04-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Trailer TPMS, what are you using?