Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer sway control

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Default trailer sway control

1016 xlt 2 months old 350 mi. 1st truck

just noticed that the trailer sway control has been checked in the information display since picking up truck. have not towed anything.

is trailer sway engaged by default?

should it be on all the time or just when towing. ?

are their any detrimental effects if it is on when not towing??thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

This screen then yes its on...no trailer....havent seen any effects
Attached Thumbnails trailer sway control-20170226_200342.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne
This screen then yes its on...no trailer....havent seen any effects
yes steve that screen, mine is checked I see you have 22k thanks for info I appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

After watching this video, I plan on leaving the anti-sway disabled. I have a more than adequate no-sway hitch. I might use it if I pulled a trailer with no sway control on it.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorSam20500
After watching this video, I plan on leaving the anti-sway disabled. I have a more than adequate no-sway hitch. I might use it if I pulled a trailer with no sway control.
Why turn off the truck's electronic sway control?

That video was a trailer without a sway-control hitch. With a sway-control hitch such as my Strait-line or ProPride, the Ford electronic sway control can be left on and will do nothing as long as the hitch controls the sway. Only if the hitch fails to control the sway would the electronic system activate.

I've been towing both my trailers that have a sway-control hitch with my 2012 F-150 with electronic sway control for over 4 years, and the electronic sway control has never done anything. I suspect that's because my WD hitches don't allow enough sway to activate the truck's built-in electronic sway control system..

Even my trailers without a sway-control hitch have not caused the electronic sway control to activate. I suspect that's because I've properly loaded the trailers and thus have never been in sway-causing conditions with those trailers that use a weight-carrying ball mount with no sway control.

I did test the system once with an improperly loaded trailer with negative tongue weight. Worked like a champ.

Last edited by smokeywren; 03-02-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=SailorSam20500;5209504I plan on leaving the anti-sway disabled.
[/QUOTE]

Why? The truck's anti-sway system is for "oh crap" moments -- it is a fail safe for when you are in the deep stew (and probabyl don't realize it). If you have a really good anti-sway, don't pull heavy/long loads, and/or keep it at the speed limit it isn't going to come on and from what I hear you don't want it to engage because it is pretty drastic. (One guy I know who pulls a long TT with a very good WDH had it come on at over 70mph, which he shouldn't have been going, and after the truck got things back under control he had to pull over to let his nerves calm down.)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by massspike
Why? The truck's anti-sway system is for "oh crap" moments -- it is a fail safe for when you are in the deep stew (and probabyl don't realize it). If you have a really good anti-sway, don't pull heavy/long loads, and/or keep it at the speed limit it isn't going to come on and from what I hear you don't want it to engage because it is pretty drastic. (One guy I know who pulls a long TT with a very good WDH had it come on at over 70mph, which he shouldn't have been going, and after the truck got things back under control he had to pull over to let his nerves calm down.)
I have a ProPride hitch on the trailer, so there should be no tail wagging the dog issues. And I stay at or under 65 MPH, even though my TT tires are rated for 75. The extra speed costs too much in fuel for my taste.

What worries me it how violent the truck can be. With my setup, I'm worried that if the truck anti-sway activates, it may make a situation worse. If my wife happens to be driving when it occurs, it would probably be catastrophic! I will be watching posts on multiple forums about this, always willing to change!