Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch part number.??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch part number.??

Hi All, first post. Altho I believe I was a mmber years ago, but fast forward here we are.

Recently taken ownership of a 2018 F150 XLT HDPP 5.0 10speed 3.73. Payload 2549LBS. Most capable half ton I've ever driven. I love it.

Looking into a travel trailer and just running the numbers. When I climbed under to actually read the rating on the trailer hitch. All it says is... Part number. hl3a-19a478-aa .Nothing else

Can anyone tell me which hitch I actually have? Search result bring nothing.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well you have the heavy duty payload package. Might be easier to ask for the window sticker based on your Vin number. How much are you looking to tow? Just from looking at Fords website it looks like minimum tow capacity for your truck is over 10,000 lbs depending on how equipped.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 PM

Not so much worried about the trucks capabilities, I wont be towing close to max.
I'm more curious why my hitch doesnt have a rating on it, just a part number. Is it 500 TW or is it 600?
It doesnt have any reinformemt brackets, so I have to assume its the smallest one ford Ofders with the tow package.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing on my new 2018, no capacity sticker on the hitch. Started a thread a couple weeks ago on it.

Best I could find was the 2018 F150 Towing Guide. You will have to google because I dont know how to link.

It shows 500 max TW regardless of tow package. Nice truck you have there.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicaladvantage
Best I could find was the 2018 F150 Towing Guide. … It shows 500 max TW regardless of tow package.
No, it shows 500# max TW WiTHOUT a weight-distributing (WD) hitch. But it shows 1,320# max TW WITH a WD hitch in the receiver.

Here's the link to the Ford RV and Trailer Towing guide for the 2018 model year:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf

Follow the footnotes and you'll see that the max tongue weight of 1,320 pounds applies only to the F-150 SuperCrew 4x2 with 157' wheelbase when towing with the receiver hitch. Other models will have slightly less max TW.

Last edited by smokeywren; 08-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Hi, just registered to the forum since I had the same problem. Not sure what the purpose of that sticker is; maybe it is a protective cover?
Peel it back and voila! It reveals the gross trailer weight and tongue weight with and without a weight distribution hitch.
Called the dealership and spoke to three service advisors on conference call and they couldn't figure it out.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 702 Likes on 505 Posts

Incorrect Info! That's a 5.0 and they do not have the 53C Max Tow Hitch! They have the 53B Hitch (Included with Req'd 53A Package on HDPP 5.0). It is rated at 500/5000 Dead Weight and 1160/11600 WDH.

The Hitch Rating does not change with the Tow Rating of the Vehicle. My truck has the 53B Hitch and it's rated at 1160/11600 WDH despite the 12400 GCWR and 7000 Tow Ratings of my Truck.

Perfectly legit to put 1160 lb tongue weight on my truck as long as I have a WDH and don't exceed my other ratings.

Last edited by Gene K; 08-24-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So I peel off the cover and it says

But all the other details on my truck say max tow is 5000 lb. If I put a WDH on, can I go higher? I am looking at about 8500 lbs max.
Truck is 2018 3.5EB tow package with added factory brake controller. 7000# package 302A package.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:24 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Stryker Guy
So I peel off the cover and it says
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

But all the other details on my truck say max tow is 5000 lb.
No, you're not seeing all the other details Ford has published. You need to download and study the Ford F150 RV and Trailer Towing Guide. It includes details you haven't seen.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

If I put a WDH on, can I go higher?
Short answer = yes. See the towing guide.
I am looking at about 8500 lbs max.
Truck is 2018 3.5EB tow package with added factory brake controller. 7000# package 302A package.
That sticker shows the weight capacity of the receiver only - not the weight capacity of the truck. But because your truck has the tow pkg, then your max trailer weight is a lot more than 5,000 pounds - probably enough to allow you to tow a trailer with gross weight of at least 8,500 pounds with a WD hitch without exceeding the tow rating of your truck.

Your truck has several weight ratings. GCWR (used to determine tow rating or max trailer weight), GVWR (used to determine payload capacity), front and rear GAWRs, receiver hitch weight rating you posted, WD hitch weight rating.. You don't want to exceed any of them.

So the weight capacity of your receiver is not your limiter as to max trailer weight. Ford's "tow rating" or max trailer weight limited by GCWR is probably not the limiter either. Instead, payload capacity of the truck that is available for hitch weight is probably your limiter. Payload capacity available for hitch weight = GVWR (not GCWR) of the truck minus the wet and loaded weight of the truck ready for towing.

So to determine the max weight of any travel trailer (TT) you can tow without being overloaded, you must know the wet and loaded weight of your truck. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck and the answer is payload capacity available for hitch weight. Divide that max hitch weight by 13% and the answer is close to the max weight of any trailer you can tow without being overloaded. Subtract another 100 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight and the answer is the payload capacity available for trailer tongue weight (TW).

A properly-loaded TT that grosses 8,500 pounds should have hitch weight (TW plus the weight of a good WD hitch) of about 1,200 pounds. So if you want to tow that TT with your F-150, you need a good WD/sway-control hitch plus 1,200 pounds payload capacity available for hitch weight. If you do a good of loading the truck with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing, and use an Equal-I-Zer WD hitch, I doubt you'll have 1,200 pounds of payload capacity available for hitch weight. So that's probably too heavy a trailer for your F-150.

You will not find the payload capacity available for hitch weight in any document or on-line table, because nobody knows how much weight you will haul in your truck when towing. So you have to load the truck, fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded truck.Then do the math.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-24-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Received 949 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
No, you're not seeing all the other details Ford has published. You need to download and study the Ford F150 RV and Trailer Towing Guide. It includes details you haven't seen.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Short answer = yes. See the towing guide.

That sticker shows the weight capacity of the receiver only - not the weight capacity of the truck. But because your truck has the tow pkg, then your max trailer weight is a lot more than 5,000 pounds - probably enough to allow you to tow a trailer with gross weight of at least 8,500 pounds with a WD hitch without exceeding the tow rating of your truck.

Your truck has several weight ratings. GCWR (used to determine tow rating or max trailer weight), GVWR (used to determine payload capacity), front and rear GAWRs, receiver hitch weight rating you posted, WD hitch weight rating.. You don't want to exceed any of them.

So the weight capacity of your receiver is not your limiter as to max trailer weight. Ford's "tow rating" or max trailer weight limited by GCWR is probably not the limiter either. Instead, payload capacity of the truck that is available for hitch weight is probably your limiter. Payload capacity available for hitch weight = GVWR (not GCWR) of the truck minus the wet and loaded weight of the truck ready for towing.

So to determine the max weight of any travel trailer (TT) you can tow without being overloaded, you must know the wet and loaded weight of your truck. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck and the answer is payload capacity available for hitch weight. Divide that max hitch weight by 13% and the answer is close to the max weight of any trailer you can tow without being overloaded. Subtract another 100 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight and the answer is the payload capacity available for trailer tongue weight (TW).

A properly-loaded TT that grosses 8,500 pounds should have hitch weight (TW plus the weight of a good WD hitch) of about 1,200 pounds. So if you want to tow that TT with your F-150, you need a good WD/sway-control hitch plus 1,200 pounds payload capacity available for hitch weight. If you do a good of loading the truck with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing, and use an Equal-I-Zer WD hitch, I doubt you'll have 1,200 pounds of payload capacity available for hitch weight. So that's probably too heavy a trailer for your F-150.

You will not find the payload capacity available for hitch weight in any document or on-line table, because nobody knows how much weight you will haul in your truck when towing. So you have to load the truck, fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded truck.Then do the math.
X2
Worth reading twice.
I keep my model year Towing Guide, F150 trailer towing selector guide, Sales brochure, ordering guide, all on my iPhone & iPad for reference.
My model year, 2019, ALL F-150s with 3.5EB or 5.0 are rated at 7000# tow capacity as a minimum with a receiver hitch, other engines are 5000#. Ball in the bumper is rated at 5000#. Once you allow for rear axle ratio, wheelbase length, engine, GCWR, and certain options, those values could be close to doubled.
My truck ends up at a 9100# a Tow Rating per Towing Guide.
Once I subtract actual truck current curb weight with me on board, I have 9000# even left in my GCVR for loaded trailer, other stuff (including ~110# weight distributing hitch) and people in the truck.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch part number.??