Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch length

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trailer hitch length

If I hitch up my trailer with the trailer hitch I used on my previous F150 (2000 Lariat SuperCab) the tailgate will hit the jackscrew on the trailer if it is lowered. Obviously this would be a very bad thing. Short of being vigilant to NEVER lower the tailgate with the trailer hitched, is there a solution? Do trailer hitches come in different lengths?

-the ChiefGearhead
Old 05-25-2019, 03:31 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

Buy a flip up tongue jack. Something like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Very cool. Thanks a lot Skwerl!

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Buy a flip up tongue jack. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...HFW/ref=sr_1_7
-the ChiefGearhead
Old 05-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefGearhead
Very cool. Thanks a lot Skwerl!

-the ChiefGearhead
If you want to look at one of these folding jacks in person, WalMart carries them in the automotive section. I've bought several for trailers I've built and they are easy to install and work well. They're available with or without the wheel.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

Also a decent selection at tractor supply.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Another option is to move the jack toward the front of the trailer. Move it just enough so the tailgate will clear. Mine required adding metal and welding. Be sure the WD hitch can still be mounted with the jack in the new position. Maybe install the WD hitch before moving the jack, then place the jack where it will work with the WD hitch installed.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The answer for what the OP asked is yes, there are longer shanks to move the trailer back a bit. I have two of them with 2" ***** on them. They are roughly 2" longer than what is on the shelf and have been looking for another one that is a 2" drop. The one I got that is a 2" drop has the same issue, tailgate hits the jack, but the others are far enough back that the gate clears it by a 1/4".

Here is one that may work for your needs. https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D-4.html
Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

You can get longer draw bars, but don't. Increasing the distance of the ball from the truck lowers weight capability and increases the effects of sway.

One of the newer trucks has a setup where the tailgate cables are caught about a third of the way down to provide quick access to loading small things like groceries, and you can reach in an move them off the catches to fully lower the tailgate. You'd think there would be an aftermarket product out there for that already, but I don't see anything.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the information gents....it looks like my best solution is to just deal with it and make sure that I lock the tailgate when towing. I had a feeling that extending the trailer farther from the truck was a bad idea (I mean, it’s just common sense) but I wasn’t sure if there was an optimal distance. Turns out it’s only as far as it needs to be in order to allow for a 60 degree + turn without having the trailer hit the bumper. I’ll stick with what I’ve got and be careful.

-the ChiefGearhead
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 AM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

The problem usually isn't a lack of care on your part, but a lack of knowledge on somebody else's part. They do something to help you and end up dropping the tailgate on the tongue jack.

Every trailer I've ever owned I ended up converting the tongue jack to a style that did not hit the tailgate. Tongue jacks come in all shapes, sizes and weight capacities. some are bolt on, some are welded on. Do yourself a favor and find one that fits your trailer and needs, then install it. That way you don't have to worry about somebody else 'helping' and leaving a permanent ding in your truck.
The following users liked this post:
ChiefGearhead (05-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch length