Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Controller

Hello all, I am new here to the forum. I have a 2016 F-150 with 3.5L, 3.55 gear ratio. I have a question about using the trailer brake controller. I have my controller setting at High, with the adjustment at 7. When braking with my 6,500 lb travel trailer, if I brake very hard, which I had to do the other day, my transmission kicks into 1st gear. Is this the engine braking assist? I do not hear any tires locking up, but sometimes it seems as though I am having to brake pretty hard, then it does kick into 1st gear. Does it make sense that it would kick into 1st gear? Generally I try NOT to have to brake too hard anyway!! Thanks for any input.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Downshifting (when in tow/haul mode) is definitely a way the truck utilizes engine braking to assist the truck and trailer brakes. It is wholly separate from whatever your trailer brake settings may be.

Have you followed the Ford manual on setting the trailer brakes up?
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Good point to check that. Looking at the manual, I need to conduct the initial check with the manual lever with the trailer attached, and start from there. I will check that first next week (once I can go get my trailer from storage). I will let you know what I find from there. Thanks,
Old 08-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The trucks braking settings determine engine braking and tie in to the brake controller as well. Setting to the highest settings will give the most aggressive downshifting when slowing down. With the Integrated Brake Controller, the amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal determines how much energy the controller sends to the trailer brakes. If you are lightly braking, the energy to the trailer is minimal, unlike add on controllers that will ramp up when they receive power from the brake pedal, which will eventually lock the trailer brakes, the ITBC will keep that from happeneing, but the more you press on the pedal, the more the ITBC will energize ther trailer, essentially making the truck and trailer braking act as one.

The downshifting is all part of this, the harder the brakes are applied, the more aggressive the downshifting is. The brake settings under the trailer screen determine how aggressive you want the braking.

EDIT: should have noted, that this function is in Tow/Haul mode only, otherwise the truck will not downshift when braking.

Last edited by acdii; 08-27-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Ricktwuhk's post reminded me.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Are you using Tow/Haul mode?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Yes, certainly in Tow Haul Mode.

Accdi, that was an awesome explanation. I did not know that the Integrated Braking system was tied to the downshifting. Thanks to all who replied. Towing definitely has a learning curve. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Actually, other way around, but you get the jist. The Smart trailer connector knows when a trailer is connected, and you can adjust engine braking on a trailer that doesn't have brakes. It also ties into the tow/haul mode. Pretty slick if you ask me.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't mean to hijack, but my question is related. I went to an RV repair place to get my TT looked at. The guy connected the Trailer simulation on the 7 pin connector. When He pushed on the brakes, it takes 5 seconds before voltage is being released to the 7 pins....The dealership tells me that the TBC settings are speed and gain dependent...im new to this! Are they right?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:07 AM

Received 188 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Actually, other way around, but you get the jist. The Smart trailer connector knows when a trailer is connected, and you can adjust engine braking on a trailer that doesn't have brakes. It also ties into the tow/haul mode. Pretty slick if you ask me.
Did not know that (yet). Yes, I'm sure it's in the OM, but that is pretty slick as you say.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:25 AM

Received 188 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Delavan
Don't mean to hijack, but my question is related. I went to an RV repair place to get my TT looked at. The guy connected the Trailer simulation on the 7 pin connector. When He pushed on the brakes, it takes 5 seconds before voltage is being released to the 7 pins....The dealership tells me that the TBC settings are speed and gain dependent...im new to this! Are they right?
I'm not sure if it's speed as much as it is the rate of deceleration. Back in the day the TBC actually had a pendulum hanging in there to determine how much voltage to send. Now it's done electronically. But I'm pretty sure, gain, and rate of deceleration are factors. These new controllers probably can factor in speed too.

5 seconds doesn't seem right. I'm used to once the brake lights engage, some voltage is hitting the brakes...greater deceleration (harder braking) equals greater voltage. I'm no expert, but I learned a lot with an old Prodigy controller on my F-250. It would actually display the voltages increasing and decreasing.

Last edited by RickC137; 06-16-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Controller