Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer brake active?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Trailer brake active?

Hey guys,

I don't have the factory trailer brake control installed. If i were to buy a factory unit and install it, how would I know if I needed to get Ford to activate the trailer brake controls?

Is there anyway besides forscan to see if this is already activated?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

It is never "already activated".
Old 06-28-2017, 09:35 AM

So there isn't really a chance, lol? Damn...
Old 06-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Stenz
So there isn't really a chance, lol? Damn...

If you have a factory trailer towing pkg on your truck, then you already have what you need to get hooked up and use an aftermarket trailer brake controller. The Ford OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) requires the dealer to "flash" the PCM (computer) to have the PCM recognize the presence of the ITBC. As Ricktwuhk mentioned, the PCM cannot be flashed until the ITBC is installed. But something like a DrawTite Activator or Prodigy doesn't need the PCM flashed.

As delivered (with the OEM trailer towing pkg) the new truck includes a fuse and relay in the glove box that must be installed before the trailer brake wire will be "hot". The dealer's pre-delivery inspection (PDI) should include installing that fuse and relay, but some dealers' PDI ain't what it should be.

So the first step after you install the trailer brake controller is to check if the trailer brake wire at the trailer plug is "hot" when you step on the brake pedal. Any decent 12-volt test light will work, but if you are allergic to automotive wiring like I am, then you'll want a trailer plug tester. Like this one:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tekonsha/6562.html

If the trailer brake wire is not "hot" when you step on the brake pedal, and assuming your trailer brake controller is properly installed, then check your Owner's Guide to determine which fuse and relay is required, then check your power distribution box under the hood (fuse/relay box) to be sure they are installed. If not installed, then install them and test the wire again.

If your trailer brake controller is the Ford ITBC, then your dealer will have to install the correct fuse and relay as well as flash the computer before the trailer brakes will work. But when properly installed, the ITBC works great.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-28-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: fine tune
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 AM

I installed the two fuses supplied with the wiring harness. The RV dealer is installing a aftermarket one this weekend but I'm pretty sure i'll be swapping to a factory unit when I find the right deal.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Stenz
I installed the two fuses supplied with the wiring harness. The RV dealer is installing a aftermarket one this weekend but I'm pretty sure i'll be swapping to a factory unit when I find the right deal.

If you had to install a wiring harness, then your truck probably does not have a factory towing package.

The Ford OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) requires a factory towing package. But perhaps someone can overcome that requirement by knowing how to correctly wire up the trailer plug.

The "right deal" to buy the hardware will probably be from a good discount Ford dealer's parts department. Like this one:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...cles-w-tow-max

You can probably install the module in the dash yourself, but you'll still have to have a Ford dealer flash the PCM to tell the PCM you now have the ITBC.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless you have to have it this weekend, why spend the money twice? Assuming you have the wiring, the OEM controller is a simple plug and play. Also, others have reported the controller works without flashing the computer, but you won't get the gain readout on the gauge cluster screen. You can also do the programming yourself with an OBD dongle, windows device, and Forscan (free software)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
If you had to install a wiring harness, then your truck probably does not have a factory towing package.

The Ford OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) requires a factory towing package. But perhaps someone can overcome that requirement by knowing how to correctly wire up the trailer plug.

The "right deal" to buy the hardware will probably be from a good discount Ford dealer's parts department. Like this one:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...cles-w-tow-max

You can probably install the module in the dash yourself, but you'll still have to have a Ford dealer flash the PCM to tell the PCM you now have the ITBC.
Well, I didn't really install anything. I just plugged in the harness to the factory harness that was tied up under my dash. The pigtail that came with the truck so you could add an aftermarket unit if you wanted to.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Unless you have to have it this weekend, why spend the money twice? Assuming you have the wiring, the OEM controller is a simple plug and play. Also, others have reported the controller works without flashing the computer, but you won't get the gain readout on the gauge cluster screen. You can also do the programming yourself with an OBD dongle, windows device, and Forscan (free software)
I have to have trailer brakes this Saturday unfortunately. My plan is to get the OSB dongle and Forscan and then activate it myself.

Thanks for the help.