Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer battery being charged

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 volt power to charge trailer

I bought a new f150 with full tow package to pull my trailer. I tested the 7 way plug with a tester and all lights worked except the 12V slot which leads me to believe there is no power going back to charge the trailer battery
Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have a relay and small wiring harness for your brake controller in the glove box.

The relay plugs into the fuse panel and prevents the trailer from drawing from the truck when its not running. (isolator)
Old 06-05-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennism1
I bought a new f150 to tow my travel trailer and put a 7 way tester in the plug. 6 of the lights worked except to 12 volt light which leads me to believe the trailer battery is not being charged while driving
Depends on how your trailer is wired but no matter even if it is charging it will not be much just a trickle. Your truck alternator doesn't know that is supposed to charge TT battery so all its efforts go to the TV battery.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know what all model years this applies to but it seems Ford made a decision to NOT install the relay and fuse that sends power to the 7 way connector. There are a lot of threads on this that will tell you which relay and fuse is not there or you can look in your owners manual to see which ones are used for this and then look in your fuse panel to verify if they are there or not. Mine were not there and I had to purchase and install them. Not a big deal but it seems pretty cheesy to me to not install $5 worth of parts on a $40K vehicle...
Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish Kid
Depends on how your trailer is wired but no matter even if it is charging it will not be much just a trickle. Your truck alternator doesn't know that is supposed to charge TT battery so all its efforts go to the TV battery.
The reason the trailer only gets a few amps is because the current has to travel down a relatively long path and it's usually only a 14 ga. conductor. An alternator doesn't "know" anything and has no control over where the current flows. It puts out a constant voltage and current flow is a result of where any relative potential lies.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Check the owner's manual. In the passenger side kick panel fuse box, there will be a "trailer tow battery charge relay" slot. Either your relay is bad, or most likely, not there. Most auto parts stores will carry the relay, but I sucked it up and paid extra for the OEM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

If your F-150 is new and not just new to you, then your Ford dealers service department didn't do a good job of the pre-delivery inspection (PDI). Your new truck came with a plastic bag in the glove box containing fuse(s) and relay(s) that the PDI tech was supposed to install to make the trailer battery power wire "hot".

If that bag containing at least one fuse and relay is still in the glovebox, then it's easy for you to DIY. Your F-150 has two "fuse panels", one in the passenger's footwell and the other under the hood near the radiator tank. The one under the hood is called a power distribution box. Look in your Owner's Guide for the fuse/relay diagram to see where in the power distribution box to install the fuse and relay for "TT battery charge relay" . Mine is in the "Roadside emergencies" area of my 2012 Owner's Guide.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 AM
Canadian Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone confirm if this is still the case with the 2015+ trucks. My 2011 came with the fuse and relay in the glove box, but my 2016 did not, I have been going on the assumption the were already installed on the new trucks.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

2016 and newer have no relay. Posted many times. It is intelligent and has to see a load. Hook it to the trailer, start truck, and you should see a message about the trailer being connected.

It will top off the trailer battery. It will NOT charge a very low battery.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Their are fuses involved also..