Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing in the Snow & Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Towing in the Snow & Ice

I have searched the TT forums/blogs and can find threads that touch on this, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Should I purchase cables or chains for the travel trailer? We are going to head up north for spring break and MIGHT get caught in a pass or two with snow.

I know not all states require, I should check each, etc. I know I should avoid towing in the snow. I KNOW! But **** happens and it snows in the mountains in March sometimes soooo.....If I have to chain up the truck, do I chain up the trailer too?

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mhendrickson81
I have searched the TT forums/blogs and can find threads that touch on this, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Should I purchase cables or chains for the travel trailer? We are going to head up north for spring break and MIGHT get caught in a pass or two with snow.

I know not all states require, I should check each, etc. I know I should avoid towing in the snow. I KNOW! But **** happens and it snows in the mountains in March sometimes soooo.....If I have to chain up the truck, do I chain up the trailer too?

Thanks,
Personally I wouldn't worry with it but I am no expert Tower either. Most big rigs that have to put chains on, only do it on the drive wheels that power the truck and trailer. The only situation I can see where chains on the trailer would be effective is for braking and helping your trailer tires not skid on the ice while braking. But adjusting your trailer gain will help with that also. Waiting for the roads to be plowed and sanded/salted is your best bet.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

If the roads are bad enough to need chains on the truck, I am not gonna be towing on them.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Save yourself from a hellish experience.

Dont go over high volume interstate highway mountain passes in heavy accumulating snow.

You'll just get snarled up between stuck 18 wheelers regardless your vehicle capabilities.

And you might spend 8-12 hrs in that position.

Get a hotel room and wait it out watching cable and drinking beer......a much more pleasant experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackbuzzard:
rsylvstr (01-04-2019), Shann (02-25-2021)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

If you ever were FORCED to tow in snow, put chains on the trailer. Never seen videos of trailers sliding across lanes due to a slight angle in the surface? Never seen what happens when the tow vehicles is braking but the trailer has no traction?

Seriously, NEVER tow anything of size when there is a threat of accumulation, it's just not worth the pain that comes from destroying your truck and trailer all at once, and wrecking a large trailer anywhere but your backyard is an exercise in financial pain.
The following users liked this post:
mhendrickson81 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 AM

So for clarification...I am asking not because I am planning on killing myself and my family. We are going up north on a trip during spring break and I want to be prepared for the worst. Obviously I will wait for the roads to be plowed and sanded. But sometimes even after plows and sand, they still want chains on the vehicles.

So while I appreciate all of the words of caution, my question is...WHEN the roads are cleared for travel AND they say something like "Chains/All season tires required" (meaning since I have A/T All season tires on the truck I legally don't have to chain up the TV).........Should I put a set of cables on the trailer?

People go up in the mountains to ski with their campers all the time. I am not looking to be stupid, only prepared. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mhendrickson81
So for clarification...I am asking not because I am planning on killing myself and my family. We are going up north on a trip during spring break and I want to be prepared for the worst. Obviously I will wait for the roads to be plowed and sanded. But sometimes even after plows and sand, they still want chains on the vehicles.

So while I appreciate all of the words of caution, my question is...WHEN the roads are cleared for travel AND they say something like "Chains/All season tires required" (meaning since I have A/T All season tires on the truck I legally don't have to chain up the TV).........Should I put a set of cables on the trailer?

People go up in the mountains to ski with their campers all the time. I am not looking to be stupid, only prepared. I appreciate everyone's help.
If roads are clear, chain law only applies to carrying then on vehicle. And with a 4x4 truck most of the time this does not apply.

I have never seen a trailer chained up. Generally its only the drive tires that are chained.....one axle.

Realize that driving with chains is a sub 25mph thing.

And there will be tractor trailers in front of you with a single set of chains on their drive axle going very slow and slipping around as they scratch their way uphill.

If I was suddenly caught in a snow storm with trailer on bad mountain pass, I would air down trailer tires dramatically. You wont be going over 20mph anyway. I have never tried this, but i have read it works pretty good in the snow.

Go watch a few episodes of "Highway thru Hell" on Netflix.....you'll get chain thing visualized pretty quick.

Last edited by Blackbuzzard; 01-03-2019 at 01:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackbuzzard:
Flamingtaco (01-04-2019), mhendrickson81 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
If you ever were FORCED to tow in snow, put chains on the trailer. Never seen videos of trailers sliding across lanes due to a slight angle in the surface? Never seen what happens when the tow vehicles is braking but the trailer has no traction?

Seriously, NEVER tow anything of size when there is a threat of accumulation, it's just not worth the pain that comes from destroying your truck and trailer all at once, and wrecking a large trailer anywhere but your backyard is an exercise in financial pain.
Go find a sledneck forum and look for the towing sub-forum. "Don't tow in the snow" would make those guys laugh—when your winter is about finding snow to play in and bringing a 24-foot (or larger) enclosed trailer with you, not towing in winter weather isn't much of an option.

Chain laws vary by state in the U.S., and I would assume there's some variance by province up north; I'm aware of one pass on the Wyoming/Idaho line (Teton Pass) that's simply closed to trailers Nov. 15 - April 1. According to https://www.thetruckersreport.com/ch...w-information/California and Nevada require that trailers with brakes be chained on one axle when the chain law is in effect, which seems like a good idea to me (having snow tires on the trailer may be better if it were going to be a habit to use it in the winter, but chains should be easier to acquire for short-term or occasional winter use). I assume you may also want to carefully consider your brake gain setting when towing in slick conditions.

Airing down can have varying effectiveness depending on tread; I've never tried it on trailer tires, but I've seen it work well on both truck and motorcycle tires in various low-traction conditions; I've also seen road-oriented motorcycle tires get worse beyond a certain amount of airing down because the voids between the tread blocks started closing up as the tire got softer. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
mhendrickson81 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Just searched "snow chains on trailer" and there's enough info there for you to make a determination.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Thanks kbroderick. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to get a full set of chains for the truck and a set of cables for one axle of the trailer.

Much appreciated everyone!

Quick Reply: Towing in the Snow & Ice