Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing noob, brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Towing noob, brake controller?

I need to put a brake controller in my '01 super crew. Is the gray plug next to the OBD port the factory brake controller connector? If not, where would I find it?

For bonus points, what's in a brake controller? I see them going for $30 to $150 and more. What features am I looking for?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Ya, it's the square grey connector right beside the OBD port. You'll probably need an adapter for your brake controller. Those can be found at any parts store. They're fairly cheap. And plug right in.
Here is all the info you'll need about them.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...ontrollers.htm

As for a brand, it's really what brand you like and whats available. I picked up a nice curt triflex and have had nothing but success with it. Never let me down or had any issues. The local parts store will probably recommend something different.
The following users liked this post:
UtahGuy (08-07-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

There are a lot of options out there for controllers.

The biggest difference is inertia or proportional vs time delay.

Proportional units measure inertia or vehicle movement and apply the trailer brakes as needed. Simply put, the harder you brake the truck, the more the brakes on the trailer are applied. It's a very nice system but you pay for it. They are more expensive to start with.

A time delay unit applies the brakes more the longer your truck brakes are applied. This means when you first hit your truck brakes your trailer brakes are lightly applied and get applied more the longer you are on your truck brakes. The down side is that if you are lightly riding your truck brakes your trailer brakes quickly become fully applied. The upside is the prices are cheaper to start with.

Mine is time delay and I would upgrade if I had any money to spare but it is just always low on the priority list. In addition I have not been towing much is the past couple of years. If that changes I will upgrade right away.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Since I tow a variety of trailers I personally prefer the Tekonsha P3. Its proportional and will work on 1 to 4 axle trailers with 5 different presets for loaded vs. unloaded or different trailers or drivers. It comes with a pigtail that you can splice in or buy an adapter cable that will plug into the factory wiring harness. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Here is the web site. http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB55TR19SXShj4
Old 08-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys, that's all good info.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spotterjoe
Since I tow a variety of trailers I personally prefer the Tekonsha P3. Its proportional and will work on 1 to 4 axle trailers with 5 different presets for loaded vs. unloaded or different trailers or drivers. It comes with a pigtail that you can splice in or buy an adapter cable that will plug into the factory wiring harness.

He has about all the info you need.
I know Tekonsha is one of the best companies out there for brake controllers, I have one myself, though it is older, before the P3 came out.
Proportional is the way to go, unless you get the factory integrated unit that uses truck brake pressure to control trailer brake pressure. Spend the money over the time based systems.

Quick Reply: Towing noob, brake controller?