Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing mirrors

Hello everyone I知 new here and had a question about a mirror swap I知 looking to do. So I have a 2013 F-150 with regular mirrors and I知 looking to upgrade to some factory tow mirrors but I can only find them with puddle lights, and I would like to have puddle lights but I知 unsure if there is any extra wiring needed to do this since it did not come from the factory with puddle lights.

Thank you for the help!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I swapped the mirrors on my 2013 for tow mirrors with puddle lights and they worked. Plug and play no extra wiring. They were aftermarket mirrors not factory, but it shouldn't make a difference.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PernellXLT5.0
Hello everyone I知 new here and had a question about a mirror swap I知 looking to do. So I have a 2013 F-150 with regular mirrors and I知 looking to upgrade to some factory tow mirrors but I can only find them with puddle lights, and I would like to have puddle lights but I知 unsure if there is any extra wiring needed to do this since it did not come from the factory with puddle lights.

Thank you for the help!
Are you referring to those lights under the mirror?
​​​​​​I was wondering what they were for, but I never thought they were there to keep you from getting your shoes wet.

They are useless, and unless you park in dark and waterlogged places, you can open your door and look down.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by PernellXLT5.0
So I have a 2013 F-150 with regular mirrors and I知 looking to upgrade to some factory tow mirrors but I can only find them with puddle lights, and I would like to have puddle lights but I知 unsure if there is any extra wiring needed to do this since it did not come from the factory with puddle lights.
These are the OEM Ford tow mirrors I used to replace the dinky little stock mirrors on my 2012 F-150 Lariat'. Less than $340 for the pair. Power mirrors with manual telescope and manual fold, Easy install, maybe 15 minutes per side if you're all thumbs. The wiring is plug and play. Just unplug the dinky little mirrors and plug in the tow mirrors. Everything that worked on your stock mirrors will work on the tow mirrors. Puddle lights worked on my tow mirrors.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

The secret to install is to find the screw in the bottom of the door-pull cavity. All other screws are in plain sight to remove the door panel. Move the door panel just enough to access the nuts on the mirrors, then unplug the wiring harness and remove the mirrors.

The tow mirrors in the link above do not include memory. If your stock mirrors have memory, a different kit is available that includes chrome caps and memory in the accssories catalog (for more money).
Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by shutt40
I swapped the mirrors on my 2013 for tow mirrors with puddle lights and they worked. Plug and play no extra wiring. They were aftermarket mirrors not factory, but it shouldn't make a difference.
Ditto.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
T...
The secret to install is to find the screw in the bottom of the door-pull cavity. ...
Yep, this one had my stymied too. Thank goodness for YouTube

Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Personally, the OEM tow mirrors are so freakin' expensive. I bought a pair of after market mirrors on eBay for under $140. Manual extension (no big deal), the puddle light, heat, and factory aim control all work.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I don't care for the Dumbo ears, so got the **** Slide on instead. They work pretty good for what they are, and store in the trailer when not needed. Best part, got them for $35! At least the Ford tow mirrors don't look as stupid as the Beavis and butthead mirrors on the Ram. I had a 2012 Lariat that had the Dumbo ears, and the chrome package, hated them as lights would reflect off the inner portion of the chrome cap right at my eyes. Have the new ones been changed to no longer do that?

Quick Reply: Towing mirrors