Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing and engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing and engine issue

Hi all, I love my truck but I am concerned that it is not safe. It has 93 thou miles, just changed the spark plugs, and I have been very diligent on changing oil etc. The issue: I was hauling my TT (4,000lbs) on the highway and the engine light started to flash, and I started to lose power. (before I changed the spark plugs) I was able to find a shoulder to pull over, shut her down and then limp back home on side roads. I have a friend who had the same issue.
Is this an issue with fords at this milage? I usually head out for the entire summer with the truck and the TT. I am worried about being out in the middle of no where and have a dead truck. suggestions

My truck 2011 crew cab with tow package
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Did you pull the code to find out why? Without that, you wont get much help.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Did you pull the code to find out why? Without that, you wont get much help.
NO codes showed up.... ugh!
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 702 Likes on 505 Posts

Would have been nice to see what a scanguage showed. Could've been as simple as a derate caused by high oil temp or a bad sensor.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelalot
I was hauling my TT (4,000lbs) on the highway and the engine light started to flash, and I started to lose power.

Then if your truck is less than 20 years old, you had at least one diagnostic trouble code (DTC) set in the PCM. You need a ScanGuage or a good scanner loaded with the Ford software for your engine to be able to read the code(s). Some folks use a laptop or tablet computer with a special harness that will plug into the OBDII port under the dash, and loaded with diagnostic software compatible with your Ford. Any Ford dealer will have the right scanner with the right software, but auto parts stores or other less-expensive places to scan the codes may not have the correct scanner or software.

Here are the claims for the ScanGuage II: "The ScanGaugeII can check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and if found, can display how many there are and the Trouble Codes themselves. Using the internet or repair manuals, these can be translated to the failed component and repairs can be made."
https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

Without knowing what code(s) were set when the malfunction indicator (check engine) light came on, you don't have any idea what might be wrong with your engine.

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-23-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelalot
Hi all, I love my truck but I am concerned that it is not safe. It has 93 thou miles, just changed the spark plugs, and I have been very diligent on changing oil etc. The issue: I was hauling my TT (4,000lbs) on the highway and the engine light started to flash, and I started to lose power. (before I changed the spark plugs) I was able to find a shoulder to pull over, shut her down and then limp back home on side roads. I have a friend who had the same issue.
Is this an issue with fords at this milage? I usually head out for the entire summer with the truck and the TT. I am worried about being out in the middle of no where and have a dead truck. suggestions

My truck 2011 crew cab with tow package
Thanks.
Is this an ecoboost?
If so they are known for going through plugs causing your symptoms.
The following users liked this post:
Travelalot (01-25-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorschlachter
Is this an ecoboost?
If so they are known for going through plugs causing your symptoms.
And also not always leaving codes behind...
Travelalot (01-25-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

If it was a soft code, those get erased after a set amount of key on key off cycles unless the issue recurs, then sets a hard fault. Soft codes are when the CEL comes on, then goes off after a while.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 11screw50
And also not always leaving codes behind...
Exactly. When I had my issue, I suffered the same symptoms as the OP.

I changed the plugs to find that it fixed my problem. 1 month later and the same thing starts happening, no codes to help me diagnose.

I used mode 6 to data-log the engine as I drove it, to see spikes on cylinder 6 upon misfire.

I pulled #6 plug (the new one month old plug), to find it had a hairline crack in the porcelain.

Do you have access to a scanner with mode 6? I used a "cheap" OBD 2 bluetooth to phone adapter and it worked great.
Travelalot (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 PM

yes it is an ecoboost and I did bring it in to the shop to see if they could figure out what it was. No codes on the lap top code reader and the "bigger one" in the shop. I have changed the plugs and will try to haul this weekend to see if it does it again. It is a 2011 so it should not be ready to trade in... but!