Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a Bus

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Towing a Bus

So iv been making extra money by scrapping as alot of people have lately. I don't steal from abandoned lots, i don't strip electrical wire from power poles. I get most of my metal from a property management company that cleans out foreclosed homes. Sometimes ill pay a person some money to haul away a dead car or two.

I currently work as a bus driver and i have had offered to me one of our old 35 ft city buses. The bus weighs right around the 12,000lb mark. It doesn't run so it would need to be towed to the scrap yard. I can run the brakes via an air compressor, but the only thing i have to tow it with is my 2007 F-150 screw with the 5.4 and factory towing package. It would be towed 4 wheels down with a heavy strap or chain.

In the past i have towed many things with this truck. I have a 29 ft travel trailer that is rated at 7,900lbs. I once rented a bobcat skid steer loader that was said to have weighed about 9,000lbs on a trailer that prolly weighed about 3,000lbs with no issues. And that was up some pretty hilly terrain in northern Montana.

This bus would have to travel about 35-40 miles behind the truck to get it to the scrappers. My biggest worry is the jerking that would be brought on by the slack in the rope/chain. Getting started would be nice and smooth and once it was rolling im sure that the bus would just kinda float behind it without issue. If it came to a point where slack was presented to the strap/chain, once it became taught it would give a tug on the truck and i would be worried about this effect on the transmission.

Im aware that many people are gonna wanna pipe up and just shout at me that im a damn fool that will end up destroying my truck or end up in a fiery heap somewhere. However, after owning my truck for about 3 years now, im pretty confidant that i could do this. I believe that automakers try and cover their butts somewhat when it comes to towing capacities, but to what end? What im looking for is some constructive conversation on the subject, and maybe things that im overlooking.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Without going into detail about how stupid this is, if you left slack in the line and a 12k bus fetches up on it it's going to tear your hitch off your truck. Pay a heavy hauler tow truck to get it there especially if it's over 30 miles! Not to mention if the cops or dot sees you! Can you say fines? But you're gonna do it no matter what we say on here so good luck lol
Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

^^^^^^

Good information right there!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddemon86
Without going into detail about how stupid this is, if you left slack in the line and a 12k bus fetches up on it it's going to tear your hitch off your truck. Pay a heavy hauler tow truck to get it there especially if it's over 30 miles! Not to mention if the cops or dot sees you! Can you say fines? But you're gonna do it no matter what we say on here so good luck lol

And this is the sort of response that i expected so its ok. The thing about heavy haulers is that they charge heavy prices. Doing the math with scrap prices at the moment this bus would net around 800 bucks. To have this bus put on a flatbed and hauled the 40 miles would cost $1,200 in the rural area that i live. So it would cost me 400 bucks and therefor not be anywhere close to worth it.

I doubt that it would rip the hitch off as you say. This is not the typical Reece style hitch that most trucks have. Before the sticker wore off, it read that the hitch was rated well over the limits of the truck. Plus a simple tugging of the rope would not be a full 12,000lb tug as if the bus just fell into a giant hole and was hanging from this strap. In my city, the division that fixes the buses tows them like this regularly with a 2004 F-250 super duty single cab with the V-8.

And no, im not just going to be stubborn and obstinate and make a post like this fully planning on doing it anyways. I haven't taken possession yet, in fact the future of this bus will be decided at city council tonight. I may have another truck that could be used which is a diesel Dodge dually king cab. Or i might just say to hell with it and let somebody else deal with it. I brought it up as just a thought. But apparently im just plain stupid.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I re-read this and no one called you stupid. Smart people do stupid things, I'll even admit to that, but even though the hitch is rated higher doesn't mean you wouldn't pull the hitch right off the truck.

Either way, it's your call.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Don't do it. I would say more but i like being a member here
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

If anything.... Make a SOLID towing bar, like you see on RV's pulling cars. And rig up the air brakes to work on a controller. Still bad idea
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sylver91
If anything.... Make a SOLID towing bar, like you see on RV's pulling cars. And rig up the air brakes to work on a controller. Still bad idea
X2
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunttman01
Don't do it. I would say more but i like being a member here
you watch yourself, you're already on my chit list
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

X2 on the solid tow bar. Also on big loads like that some scrap yards will come get it. but if it has brakes and lights. You'd prolly be fine. Just keep the speed low and stop early/slowly.

Last edited by superduty; 12-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Towing a Bus