Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing with a in-bed camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with a in-bed camper

Hey all,

I have a 2016 F-150 Fx4 with the V8. I have a pop-up truck camper that stays in the bed. Camper dry weight is 1500 lbs, and I have firestone airbags on the rear suspension to help the load. I'd like to start towing an enclosed trailer on occasion, no more then 5,000 lbs, usually less. I know the 5k trailer is well within the tow limit, but I have never towed a trailer with significant weight already in the bed. Will I have any issues with this setup? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You’ll have to keep your tongue weight into consideration. Because that is added to your campers wet weight to determine your total GVWR. I want to do the same with mine, my Campers dry weight is 1325lbs claimed. Fully loaded weigh about 1900 lbs. My GVWR is 7050 lbs with a max payload of 2080 lbs claimed by Ford. The sticker in the door says the max payload with passengers is 1743 lbs. So I’m over my max by about 160 lbs. We did a lot of research, and went to the weigh station a few times. I put on tires with a higher weight rating, to improve the feel of the truck on the road. But I think if I was to add a small enclosed trailer I would move most likely have to move a lot of the extras into the trailer with the motorcycle to hopefully balance the weight out. For what we do a 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be better, but I still have to use my truck as a daily driver with a long commute. So we just pay attention to what we carry, and try to not carry unnecessary items.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

I have no problems with my slide-in popup camper and towing my ATV. Easily climbs the Colorado grades. Camper wet weight is 1600+ lbs and loaded is probably 2000+/- lbs. The trailer weight is not significant. I did increase the wheel and tire size on the trailer and also larger fenders since this picture.

Edit: I also have add-a-leaf and Timbrens.

Last edited by G-Force; 03-18-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1964
You’ll have to keep your tongue weight into consideration. Because that is added to your campers wet weight to determine your total GVWR. I want to do the same with mine, my Campers dry weight is 1325lbs claimed. Fully loaded weigh about 1900 lbs. My GVWR is 7050 lbs with a max payload of 2080 lbs claimed by Ford. The sticker in the door says the max payload with passengers is 1743 lbs. So I’m over my max by about 160 lbs. We did a lot of research, and went to the weigh station a few times. I put on tires with a higher weight rating, to improve the feel of the truck on the road. But I think if I was to add a small enclosed trailer I would move most likely have to move a lot of the extras into the trailer with the motorcycle to hopefully balance the weight out. For what we do a 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be better, but I still have to use my truck as a daily driver with a long commute. So we just pay attention to what we carry, and try to not carry unnecessary items.

You are over payload with just the camper, but add yourself and a passenger you are really over weight.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1964

Does that 1900 lbs include you and any passengers?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I have a hard time believing that rig as shown isn't more than 160 lbs over the 7050 GVWR.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew2019
Hey all,

I have a 2016 F-150 Fx4 with the V8. I have a pop-up truck camper that stays in the bed. Camper dry weight is 1500 lbs, and I have firestone airbags on the rear suspension to help the load. I'd like to start towing an enclosed trailer on occasion, no more then 5,000 lbs, usually less. I know the 5k trailer is well within the tow limit, but I have never towed a trailer with significant weight already in the bed. Will I have any issues with this setup? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Unless you have an HDPP you wont have enough payload to do both. You would need at least 2600 pounds payload and that is pushing the very edge of it too.

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
You are over payload with just the camper, but add yourself and a passenger you are really over weight.
My weight is with the setup you see in the picture, and me and my wife. We set everything up, then drove through the scales. So we were over what the door decal by about 160 lbs. That was our first trip with that set up. We drove from the coast over the coast mountains to the Selkirk,then back over the Cascades coming home. There was no time I felt like the vehicle was overloaded, or over worked. My truck sits level with just the stock suspension, I just use the air springs to add stability. It’s the best setup we could get to accomplish all of our needs.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by marshallr
I have a hard time believing that rig as shown isn't more than 160 lbs over the 7050 GVWR.
The camper is only 1325 libs, So we have the lightest camper we could find. And we did drive through the weigh scale. I think it looks like it is heavier that it is.

Quick Reply: towing with a in-bed camper