Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing 8,000lbs with RCSB - numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 02:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Towing 8,000lbs with RCSB - numbers

My latest tow ended near a state weigh station. I went through it and jotted the axle weights down. After unhooking I returned and re-weighed the axles.I paired those measurements with what my vehicle is rated for, sourced from https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...F150_Oct15.pdf
GVWR can be found at https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-xlt/
Axle weight ratings are from my doorjamb sticker.

Tongue is 15.5% of trailer weight.

'F150 sans Bigfoot' is the weight after unhooking. It's the raw weight of the vehicle, plus campershell, half tank of gas, myself, tools, the bicycle that's still in the back, and whatever else i normally carry in the truck. It's the sum of the front and rear axle weights from the 2nd measurement.
  • I am using a weight distribution hitch. Without that, max receiver towing is 5,000lbs and 500lbs tongue weight.
  • Vehicle is a 2016 rcsb (regular cab shortbed), 2.7L 6spd 4x4, 17" wheels, 3.73 locking diff axle (code L6), and tow pkg.
  • Trailer is a Bigfoot 25B25FB http://www.bigfootrv.com/m/bigfoot_r...00_series.html
  • Hitch is a ProPride 3P https://www.propridehitch.com
  • Except for the campershell and tires, everything is factory/stock (no mods)
  • Weight distribution hitch adjusted per F150 owner's manual.
Weight can probably be shifted off the rear axle, either by raising the weight distribution towers, or physical load shifting. Removing cargo from the trailer is the easiest fix - I don't need to carry so much stuff.

Tires - I believe stock tires work fine for towing and their load rating is factored into the GAWR. I am on my second set of tires, and they are LT with printed load ranges 50-80psi. 50psi is way too stiff of a ride when not towing (for this truck). Door stickers says 35psi for the stock P rated tires. So I run 50psi when towing, and 35psi otherwise. I have towed at 60psi and it felt more jostly at times. Curious if any rcsb's ever shipped with LT tires, and if so what the suggested psi on the doorjamb is. Tires are Nokian Rotiiva https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...tiiva-at-plus/
Trailer tires are stock and set at 50psi.

Ride feel - The wheel well height lowers about an inch once the wd hitch is adjusted. It feels good towing to me, but I upgraded from a Tacoma. I know people who come from Super Duties, and some aren't comfortable with the ride difference. On the other hand, the guys at TFLTruck do tow heavy loads, with both Super Duties and F150's, and if these videos are to be believed, aren't bothered, and sometimes prefer, towing with the F150:
Spoiler

Ride feel is subjective, and feels safe and comfortable to me. Towing with the Tacoma also felt safe but I was way over published numbers, and that made me more uncomfortable than how it felt. For me, the slight spring compression induced by the weight distribution hitch removes most if not all of the 'car suspension' feeling. There looks to be 4" of travel remaining between the axle and the bump stop, with trailer attached and hitch adjusted. I don't recall ever feeling like I had hit them. Shocks stop oscillation of the springs, so everything's good.

Performance - The 2.7L performs great, and there are plenty of tow reports about this engine. I did tow over Siskiyou pass, the highest point on Interstate 5, heading south. Going uphill I got stuck behind semis going 40mph. When it was clear, I entered the passing lane and bumped the cruise control back up to 55mph. There was no drama and I was quickly up to speed and able to pass.

Descending - There was zero engine braking. So your trailer brakes MUST be adjusted and monitored. Be mentally prepared to reach over and control your trailer speed by hand with the squeeze control everytime you descend. Monitor your tow status screen as you tow, and observe output to the trailer brakes on the gauge. I say this, because I have had my brake pedal decoupled from the trailer brakes before. I didn't catch the problem until I was on the road. Squeeze lever trailer brakes still worked. A restart of the vehicle fixed it, but needless to say, I watch that tow info brake meter like a hawk now. I will occasionally glance at tire pressure, but otherwise the tow status screen is what's on the display while I'm towing.

Fuel - The manual recommends using premium fuel when towing. I believe the engine likes it - for example the fuel consumption gauge after filling with premium shows a 4-8mpg increase in fuel economy! (unladen - I always fill before I hook up) I haven’t tested this, it’s just something I notice everytime I put premium in. In 3 years and 950 miles of towing this load, I average 12mpg.
Spoiler

Hope you enjoy the data, I wanted it in a usable format and thought someone else might find it useful. If i did it again, I'd find a lightweight fifth wheel, like the Escape 5.0TA. Fifth wheels are far simpler to hook up, adjust and inspect, than a weight distributing, sway control hitch. And the tow characteristics are equal if not superior to a good receiver hitch in my opinion. On the other hand, mpg would be worse (higher profile), and its nice to have a locking campershell. And you can probably count on one hand the number of fifth wheels that meet my weight requirements. Maybe the grass is always greener!

Last edited by jdriver; 03-13-2020 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Apdl (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 02:29 PM
TO THE MOON 204K/239K

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for sharing, always nice to see data like this with sources!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Looks great. Nice trailer.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM

Thanks! I changed the post to include raw measurements, not just the derived data (trailer weight, tongue weight etc)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jdriver, great write up. I have a 2018 rcsb 5.0 4x4 3:73 gear 6400gvwr. My truck came with load range E tires 17". I run @ 46psi when empty, much easier on back ; ) . Travel trailer were looking at (Outdoors RV 21RD) is close wt and length wise to yours. Been looking for real world info on how these rcsb's tow. How's it feel in cross winds ?

jdriver (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:21 PM

That's great hudman. I've been looking forever for that sticker!

I hit 20mph winds on my latest tow, just yesterday, 150 miles or so. That was the most wind I've driven in while towing. The only thing I noticed was, twice I had to do relatively quick steering adjustments, seemingly out of nowhere. This is with the ProPride hitch, which has an sway solution, where any movement from the front of the hitch processes without resistance (I can stand in front of the trailer and swing it freely left and right with my hands) while at the same time, physically locking the trailer to the hitch in the rear direction. So no sway transmits from the trailer to the truck. I've been looking at it for years and don't know how it works, but it works! Traditional friction style sway control is a different beast, where your vehicle has to overcome it to for example make a turn.

I'd say the most important thing, is weight distribution. You don't want to your headlights pointing at the moon! i think a good wd hitch is more important than the tow vehicle, because no matter the tow vehicle, you gotta get that weight off the rear axle, distributed some!

Last edited by jdriver; 03-04-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 1,289 Likes on 860 Posts

I dont think there is a 5th wheel on the planet that is light enough for your truck.
Maybe there is. But generally you need much more payload for a 5th wheel.
jdriver (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:10 AM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JaseBosto
I dont think there is a 5th wheel on the planet that is light enough for your truck.
Maybe there is. But generally you need much more payload for a 5th wheel.
Just google the trailer he referenced
https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/
GVWR on that puppy is 5500.

at the derived estimated pin weight (16.5%) looks like a 905 pound pin.
at 20% it's 1,100 pounds.

Not all fifth wheel trailers are 12-14K beasts requiring a dually.
The following 2 users liked this post by TerryD64:
jdriver (03-03-2020), MikeD134 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:19 AM

Received 1,289 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryD64
Just google the trailer he referenced
https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/
GVWR on that puppy is 5500.

at the derived estimated pin weight (16.5%) looks like a 905 pound pin.
at 20% it's 1,100 pounds.

Not all fifth wheel trailers are 12-14K beasts requiring a dually.
That trailer is sweet.

I did say "maybe there is".
1100 lbs of pin weight is going to maxing out a non HDPP truck though. For example:
My trucks payload is 1535.
1100 pin + 220lbs myself and I am already at 1320lbs. Not a lot left.

In all honesty I would still tow that with my truck.
jdriver (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:52 AM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

IF you can crank the bars a little more you can send a little more to the front and off the rear, but pretty close.

With the PP you will have no issues, those quick driving adjustments you mentioned would be constant with any other hitch. Hensley and Pro-Pride
are the way to tow.

jdriver (03-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Towing 8,000lbs with RCSB - numbers