Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a 2013 limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Towing with a 2013 limited

Getting ready to purchase a TT to pull with my 2013 F150 Limited. I have done enough research to know that my capacity is lower than a standard F 150, however I'm starting to get confused. I actually called Ford who told me my trailer towing capacity is 7500# and my CVGWR is 13,500. I'm looking at purchasing a new Skyline Nomad with a length of 30 ft 6 inches and a dry weight of 6300#. My truck has the class IV hitch and they told me I was within my limit. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

What's ur yellow payload sticker say and what's trucks specs eng gearing ect?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

What you have to pay attention to is your payload capacity. That will be your limiting factor. Your payload is on a sticker on your door. From that, subtract the weight of: passengers, dog, anything in the bed (coolers, tools, generator, etc), WD hitch, accessories that you have added to the truck. The remainder is your actual payload available for trailer tongue weight.

Also, don't go by the dry weight in the trailer brochures. You also have to add: trailer options, LP tanks, battery, fluids, whatever you load in the trailer. A portion of the weight also goes to the tongue weight.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranfin
Getting ready to purchase a TT to pull with my 2013 F150 Limited. I have done enough research to know that my capacity is lower than a standard F 150, however I'm starting to get confused. I actually called Ford who told me my trailer towing capacity is 7500# and my CVGWR is 13,500. I'm looking at purchasing a new Skyline Nomad with a length of 30 ft 6 inches and a dry weight of 6300#. My truck has the class IV hitch and they told me I was within my limit. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.
Just guessing but it looks like you will be over payload and over your tow limit with what you have posted when fully loaded.

7500 lbs sounds light unless you have the n/a 6 cyl. A little more info would be needed, engine, rear end ratio, tow package, payload capacity, trailer max weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

What is the trailers GVWR? Use that number to determine if you can tow it as you will most likely end up near it. To know what you really can tow, you need to know what you weight. You can calculate it and get close. But options will change the actual. Take the trucks weight add option weight (tonnue, hitch, etc) plus people and any gear that you have to carry in the bed of the truck (try to load everything in the trailer as it only adds a little to the truck) (Sample: Truck (5600) + Tonnue & WDH (350) + people (550) = 6500, subtract from trucks GVWR (esmate it to be 7200) = 700lbs of trailer tongue capacity. Take max trailer tongue you calculated (700) and divide by the % of weight transfered to the tongue by the trailer, usually 12 - 13% (calculated by dividing dry tongue weight by dry trailer weight as marked on the manfucture tag on trailer). In our case here 700 divide by 12% = 5833 max trailer based on available payload payload.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 AM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Limited purchase

I'm actually thinking of getting a "Limited" this week. Then I realized the towing capacity is a good bit less than most of the lineup. While I don't tow more than 7500 lbs regularly, I'd like to keep the capability that my current truck has.

Does anyone know specifically why the "Limited" package is 2000lbs lower than the other Trim levels?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe the Limited is lower due to the AWD system, although I see there is also a 2wd variant that has the same capacity. Every truck I've looked at that has and AWD system rather than a 4x4 or 4Auto has a lower payload. And the Limited came with either the 3.5L EcoBoost or 6.2L V8, and only with 3.73:1 e-locker.

Payload capacity will be your main limiter. I'm looking to pull a trailer with 7500 GVWR, and it may be well within my GCWR, it's almost surpasses my payload when I have the band loaded up for tour. If it was just me and one other going away for a long weekend, I'd hook up and go, BUT I HAVE THE MAX TOW PACKAGE. I have the room to dodge around with in my payload and trailer capacity.

Your Limited is either rated at 13300 for 2WD (13400 for AWD) for the 3.5 or 13500 (2WD and AWD) for the 6.2. Your max trailer weight will also depend on whether you are 2WD or AWD, as the 2WD is 7500 and the AWD is 7300. I can't find any payload specs on the big ol' internet or in my owner's manual, but it'll be on your driver side door. Big sticker with a bunch of yellow on it, it's hard to miss.

Another thing to consider is sometimes manufacturers will fudge payload numbers. I know with my 13 XLT Maxtow supercrew 6.5 bed with Ecoboost, my dry weight is right around 6xxx#, give or take a couple tools.My GVWR is 7700#. My GCWR is 17100# with an 11100 trailer. That's the trailer and nothing else, not even me, to max out my GCWR, let alone anything else in the truck. So watch your numbers. If you have a max trailer weight of 7500 with a GCWR of 13500, and you truck weight in the neighbourhood of 6000# and more than likely a GVWR of 7150-7350 for a non-Max Tow truck, you'll be completely overloaded with a trailer that size on your truck.

Grab all your capacity information (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, payload capacity, dry weight, Trailer's GVWR, trailer's hitch weight, etc) and you should be able to ensure if you'd be overloaded or not. If you're still confused (no shame in that, took me a while to understand my numbers and I've been towing all sorts of miscellaneous crap over the last half of my life) we will be happy to give you a hand at figuring everything out. Just need a little more input from you.

Last edited by Jeriko; 02-23-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: I can spell. Durrr
Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rhicks20
I'm actually thinking of getting a "Limited" this week. Then I realized the towing capacity is a good bit less than most of the lineup. While I don't tow more than 7500 lbs regularly, I'd like to keep the capability that my current truck has.

Does anyone know specifically why the "Limited" package is 2000lbs lower than the other Trim levels?

Thanks
I was told it's due to the 22's.

I have the 4x4 with 3.55 locking rear diff. My payload is 1150 and tow is 7300.

Last edited by Andrade; 02-23-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've compared the tire sizes between the 18",20", and 22", the tire sizes change, making the circumference pretty close when using factory tires.

considering the frame, motor, trans dont change, I would assume the AWD option. Problem with that is, the platinum has same option and it isnt limited to 7500 lbs.

maybe its the rim structure itself and not necessarily the circumference driving the number down.

other thoughts?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeriko
I believe the Limited is lower due to the AWD system, although I see there is also a 2wd variant that has the same capacity. Every truck I've looked at that has and AWD system rather than a 4x4 or 4Auto has a lower payload. And the Limited came with either the 3.5L EcoBoost or 6.2L V8, and only with 3.73:1 e-locker.
But you can get a Lariat with the AWD and the HD Payload Option which will put you over 2000# payload.

Can't go any higher though and get the HD Payload option, and there are other restrictions on options and Cab configurations.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 2013 limited