Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tow Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which Tow Weapon?

Looking for a tow rig for our 6k lb ski/wake boat and dual axle trailer for trips throughout the West. TW is circa 450 lbs, but would like to safely bring family of 4 plus, bikes, and lighter gear. Common conditions include 11k' elevation mountain passes, and circa 2k mile round trips to lakes such as Powell, Flaming Gorge, Coure D'Alene.

Have come down to either a 2014 F150 Screw EB HD Payload, or a 2015 F250. Already ruled out the 2015 F150 due to the concerns posted in this subforum and the lack of HD Payload options for this MY.

Had the pleasure of driving and towing a larger haul with my buddy's 2014 F250 FX4 Screw Platinum. Completely impressed by its capabilities and fit & finish, but a bit overwhelmed by its massive overall size.

What say you good folks? I am already undergunned using a tuned Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L and if towing will generally drive solo. It has punched above its fighting weight but wanting to have a properly spec'd, safe, and capable tow rig that can still DD without too much fuss.

Last edited by moosehead1; 10-29-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

F150eco will tow it with ease. I tow my 25' chaparral with mine and all in its almost 2k lbs heavier than your boat. I get to hwy speeds easily, maintain speed fine and the suspension handles the boat no problem, without any wd hitch needed. You will like the eb with that boat in tow and be wowed compared to what you have now. Any an v8 will be inferior to the Eco or turbo diesel towing let alone at altitude.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

If the towing is less than 25% of your total driving, I would say the F150 HD Payload EcoBoost. While towing, either truck will get poor mileage. For the 75% of the time when you are not towing, would you refer the 12 mpg of the F250 or the 16-17+ mpg I estimate for overall non-towing mpg of the HD Payload 3.5 EcoBoost? Also, the 3.5 EcoBoost will lose less power at elevation than the 6.2 gas. The diesel will cost you much more to buy. With the F150 you are getting a modern, aluminum body truck, and you will have to wait until the 2017's come out to get a modern aluminum body F250.

Last edited by Velosprout; 10-29-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Dude that boat and trailer is sick!

I used to pull a camper with a similar Jeep GC 5.7L suv. Definitely a better towing experience moving to a truck with a longer wheelbase. The Jeep is too short and the 5.7L drivetrain has to work too hard to pull moderately sized loads. I used to see over 250 degree engine oil temps!

Anyway, I think you'd be well served by an F150 setup for towing with one of the available packages. Moving to a super duty is a completely different experience than the smaller 1/2 ton pickups. Even the 4x2 super dutys dwarf the F150 and that's a lot of truck to get around when not towing. Something to consider...
Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

U don't even need a hd payload for that, the pay load on the 15 is much higher
Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Go for the 3.5 ecoboost. That's what my dad got and he pulls a 30ft Sea Ray with ease.

Last edited by berty; 10-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks folks. I would really like to do the 150 with short box, as stated above, specs look to be plenty for my lighter TW plus expected payload even without the HD payload package which does not appear to be available in the short box. This boat trailer tows easily with 18" wheels, dual axle, and light TW.

Frankly, my hesitation is the multiple posts here describing tow concerns such as swaying, bouncing, and whatnot with the aluminum 15's. I recognize many tow rigs may be setup incorrectly, or overloaded, or both. Just seems to be a trend that is consistent on the boards.

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got a 14 F150 and a 15 Axis T22 I tow regularly. Tows fine as far as power/braking but I do have an annoying 'bounce' or something while towing. I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have enough tongue weight and so basically my entire truck/trailer just 'bucks' over expansion joints/rough/bumpy roads. It's annoying, that's it. I added airbags to the rear suspension and it calmed it down quite a bit but it still sucks having a brand new truck and brand new boat. I'm still looking into other ways to make it better, but I think it comes down to the fact that the F150 suspension is soft, to give it a great ride unloaded, which truthfully is what I use it for 98% of the time so I guess it is what it is.

My .02. I'm sure you'd be happy in an F150, especially coming from the Jeep towing that boat. Sweet boat btw.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by moosehead1
Thanks folks. I would really like to do the 150 with short box, as stated above, specs look to be plenty for my lighter TW plus expected payload even without the HD payload package which does not appear to be available in the short box. This boat trailer tows easily with 18" wheels, dual axle, and light TW.

Frankly, my hesitation is the multiple posts here describing tow concerns such as swaying, bouncing, and whatnot with the aluminum 15's. I recognize many tow rigs may be setup incorrectly, or overloaded, or both. Just seems to be a trend that is consistent on the boards.
Yes the newer trucks tow worse bc they are lighter. But, that's compared to previous gen f150. Those stories are also with loads heavier than yours and with far more wind resistance. For your boat or even a few feet larger, fugget abowd it. You good 2 go.

Quick Reply: Which Tow Weapon?