Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow/Haul mode and 10 Speed Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Tow/Haul mode and 10 Speed Transmission

So, I towed my boat for the first time today with my 2018. I towed the same boat many times with my 2015. Both trucks are pretty much identical - 3.5 EB with max tow. The obvious difference being the 10 speed transmission. With the 2015, and in tow haul mode, the transmission would downshift rather abruptly to help slow the truck when braking. Today, I didn’t notice any difference in the downshifting. Is the new truck no longer set up to downshift as a braking assist feature in tow haul mode, or is it just done more smoothly now with the 10 speed transmission and I’m not noticing it? Or, is it not working right?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine downshifts if I'm decending a hill and speed is picking up or if I'm lightly applying the brakes when towing. 2018 XLT 3.5 ecoboost.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dysan
Mine downshifts if I'm decending a hill and speed is picking up or if I'm lightly applying the brakes when towing. 2018 XLT 3.5 ecoboost.
2018 5.0 and it does the same. Going abrupt downhill applying the brakes and the rev went above 4k.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Member Junior

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

My 3.5 downshifts on level ground, downhill, whatever = nicely and crisply. 7000 pound TT, in tow haul mode. I don't mind it, but is definitely noticeable.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I've only towed my boat (3k max) once but not far (<10miles) so not much help if any on a boat. Towed my TT and my 10sp downshifts/revs up to help slow down. TT is ~6500 or so.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

I towed a sled trailer with 2 quads, and a third quad in the bed of the truck last Saturday.

The whole load was likely not more than 2500lbs.

I used tow/haul a couple times just to see how it behaved.

Going down a hill while lightly braking it downshifted and the revs climbed to around 3500, so it seemed to function properly for me.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine downshifted this morning when going down a long fairly steep hill, two lane road and NOT towing anything. I was in standard mode, 10th gear locked out as usual, tach was showing over 3k rpms in 8th gear. I was not riding the brake, but had my foot close to the brake due to traffic.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lux194
Is the new truck no longer set up to downshift as a braking assist feature in tow haul mode, or is it just done more smoothly now with the 10 speed transmission and I’m not noticing it?
Doesn't the dash display show the gear you're in? If so, you should be able to answer your own question. I don't own one yet, so I don't know.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Like2Hike
Doesn't the dash display show the gear you're in? If so, you should be able to answer your own question. I don't own one yet, so I don't know.
Yes, I was watching the display, but it appeared to be just downshifting as it normally would when slowing or braking. There was no drastic downshifting or major RPM spike.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Hit the brakes a couple times and it will down shift each time, only press once and hold I don't think it will down shift to the lower gears. I can get mine up too 3k RPMS hitting the brakes several times @ 40 mph down a good inline. Mine will initially and smoothly down shift a couple gears and really don't feel it, let off brakes and apply again then repeat - it starts down shifting very firmly almost like a manual trans and I start giggling!

From the Ford manual
To activate tow mode, press the button on the gearshift lever until tow mode is selected. The indicator light illuminates in the instrument cluster when the system becomes active.The tow mode feature:
  • Moves upshifts to higher engine speeds to reduce the frequency of transmission shifting.
  • Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which slows your vehicle and assists you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade.
  • Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal. The amount of downshift braking provided varies based upon the amount you press the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul mode and 10 Speed Transmission