Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This thing pulls!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default This thing pulls!

Pulls so well you have to use cruise or careful foot. This is with a 7k trailer too!

Wind is the only factor I might have trouble figuring out
Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

We don't know which engine you're praising... but, yea, with 400 or 500 lb/ft of torque you're going to have to develop a skilled throttle foot.

Cruise/speed control when towing isn't a good idea except perhaps on long, windless stretches of flat ground. Were you using Tow/Haul mode?

Otherwise, select M for manual, Tow/Haul (for earlier torque converter lockup) and shift manually using the +/- toggle on the shift lever; this way your truck won't "hunt" gears.

The farther away we get from using 3-pedal, H-pattern manual transmissions, the more M for "manual" will be a mystery for a lot of new drivers.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I use cruise in I-80 and the like, until I hit Colorado. When the grades start, switch to manual. This is with the 6 spd and 3.15 geared truck, drop to 4th for the entire trip. I haven't traveled enough with the 16 to say which gear works best with the 6 spd and 3.55 gears, and most likely wont ever. That 14 EB was a BEAST. I gave some bone head a run for his money when he thought he would get past me in the left merge lane. He did not expect that my truck and trailer could accelerate that quickly. It was fun!
Old 03-31-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Apples
We don't know which engine you're praising... but, yea, with 400 or 500 lb/ft of torque you're going to have to develop a skilled throttle foot.

Cruise/speed control when towing isn't a good idea except perhaps on long, windless stretches of flat ground. Were you using Tow/Haul mode?

Otherwise, select M for manual, Tow/Haul (for earlier torque converter lockup) and shift manually using the +/- toggle on the shift lever; this way your truck won't "hunt" gears.

The farther away we get from using 3-pedal, H-pattern manual transmissions, the more M for "manual" will be a mystery for a lot of new drivers.

It is the 3.5l that is killing it.

So what is the difference from manual to drive? In my old truck, manual acts like my drive does in this truck which locks out gears. What diff will the manual shift more do?
Old 03-31-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, M (manual) means you use the +/- to shift the gears ...up and down. To lock out a gear.....you have to be in drive and use the +/- to lock out gears or add them "back in" so to speak. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 03-31-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Old 03-31-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Simnut
Well, M (manual) means you use the +/- to shift the gears ...up and down. To lock out a gear.....you have to be in drive and use the +/- to lock out gears or add them "back in" so to speak. Correct me if I'm wrong...

So if In M and you say go to 4, will it start out in 1 and go up to 4? Or will it start in 4 and only stay in 4? If the former, that's how my old truck in m used to do?

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by waltheraustin
So if In M and you say go to 4, will it start out in 1 and go up to 4? Or will it start in 4 and only stay in 4? If the former, that's how my old truck in m used to do?
The truck (computer) will only let you do what IT can do. For instance.....you can't manually select 1st gear when doing 60 mph! and expect it to go to that gear. It will....when you've reduced your speed by QUITE a bit. lol. On the flip side....if you have 4th selected when stopped, the truck will gear up through and stop shifting up when in the gear you've selected.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM

Gotcha! Makes sense

Just need to see what I can do besides buy new tires to stop the wind from pushing me around. No wind and no semi was a pleasant experience but add wind and semi and it got a little hairy.

Shocks?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waltheraustin
I hit the + to bring up the gears, then hit the - twice to lock out 5th and 6th. Only 1 through 4 around town.

Quick Reply: This thing pulls!