Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a solution for the half-hearted weekend warrior to plow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is there a solution for the half-hearted weekend warrior to plow?

We only get 1-3 snow storms a year that put down enough snow to require digging to get out (makes me cry, I'm from the South, how did I end up this far North, where did I go wrong!). We park on the street. I have a pretty pedestrian snow thrower. I usually shovel/snow throw around our 2 vehicles, our steps, and sidewalk (corner lot so not fun). The township plows seem to have a route that goes down my street such that the street snow is thrown toward my side of the street. There is literally no worse feeling than the cruelty of watching one of those things come down the street after a long back breaking session of clearing snow and they build a great Wall of china next to your vehicles and erase all your hard work that you're still trying to recover from.

I've taken to using the snow thrower out in the street to clear snow so that there is simply less "ammo" for the street plows. Takes a long time to do that.

So finally to my question, I don't want a serious setup or to plow for money or plow a lot. I just would love to have something lightweight, easy to deal with, that I could use to plow something like 100ft x 20ft strip of road. Is there something that exists for the half-hearted, apathetic, weekend warrior who doesn't care if a real plow truck drives by and laughs?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Do a google search. Company's are now making lighter weight less expensive "homeowner plows"
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

check on battery usage.... why the plow package turns options off....turns alternator on......I added a battery just for my winch use...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by OopsUpsideYerHead
So finally to my question, I don't want a serious setup or to plow for money or plow a lot. I just would love to have something lightweight, easy to deal with, that I could use to plow something like 100ft x 20ft strip of road. Is there something that exists for the half-hearted, apathetic, weekend warrior who doesn't care if a real plow truck drives by and laughs?
You're in the F-150 forum, so I assume you have an F-150. You can plow light snow only if your F-150 is a 4x4 and with the 5.0L V8 engine and the optional snow plow prep package.

If your F-150 is not a 4x4 with the 5.0L engine and factory snowplow prep pkg, then "Sorry, Charlie" but Ford says you cannot use the F-150 to plow snow.

If your F-150 is a 4x4 with the 5.0L engine and factory snowplow prep pkg, you can mount only a very light-weight snowplow. Your Ford dealer has details and descriptions and specs. Maybe this one? http://www.saferwholesale.com/Meyer-...st%2030%20days.

I lived in Omaha for 6.5 years and Denver for 20 years. My driveway in Omaha was only 3 feet long, so I just shoveled the snow. In Denver I used a small Toro 2-stage snow thrower. Toro because it was easy to start in zero° cold, and 2-stage to grab the snow and throw it several feet away from the driveway.

When I retired, I sold that snow thrower and moved to west Texas where our average snowfall for a year is about two inches.

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-18-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by OopsUpsideYerHead
We only get 1-3 snow storms a year that put down enough snow to require digging to get out (makes me cry, I'm from the South, how did I end up this far North, where did I go wrong!). We park on the street. I have a pretty pedestrian snow thrower. I usually shovel/snow throw around our 2 vehicles, our steps, and sidewalk (corner lot so not fun). The township plows seem to have a route that goes down my street such that the street snow is thrown toward my side of the street. There is literally no worse feeling than the cruelty of watching one of those things come down the street after a long back breaking session of clearing snow and they build a great Wall of china next to your vehicles and erase all your hard work that you're still trying to recover from.

I've taken to using the snow thrower out in the street to clear snow so that there is simply less "ammo" for the street plows. Takes a long time to do that.

https://www.realtruck.com/snow-plows...t/R204524.html
Old 01-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Snow blades push the snow and leave it where you stop and reverse.

Snow throwers pick up the snow, you aim the discharge chute, and throw it up to 20 ft away......$700, and they're self propelled.

Sometimes there's no easy place to push the snow with plow given the driveway and landscaping situation.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Wonder why the EB isn't recommended (weight or air flow)? My alternator is 200 amp on mine.

I see they have ones that hook up to rear hitch.

Last edited by Bluewoo; 01-20-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

If you park on the street, and you're talking about plowing the street, you shouldn't do that. You will be on the hook for any accident that happened as a result.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewoo
Wonder why the EB isn't recommended (weight or air flow)? My alternator is 200 amp on mine.
I have always heard airflow. Plow blocks the airflow to the inercooler.
The following users liked this post:
Bluewoo (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
My driveway in Omaha was only 3 feet long, so I just shoveled the snow.
20 feet of truck in 3 feet of driveway is some kind of magic.

4-wheeler with a blade is pretty normal in central Minnesota. I like to be a good guy but my insurance guy says dropping a plow on the street can be a problem.

The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (01-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Is there a solution for the half-hearted weekend warrior to plow?