Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tandem axle trailer problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Default tandem axle trailer problem

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this, but not sure where else to ask. For those with trailers, have you ever run into anything like this? One side looks normal, the other side almost looks like the wheels have shifted, or the fender. However I have measured the wheels on both sides and the measurements are identical as far as the position. Same distance from the front and back of the trailer, and same distance from each other. Not sure how the fender could have moved as it doesn't look bent. And I'm positive it wasn't like this a few months ago. I'm the original owner of the trailer and have had it approx 6 years. It really has me scratching my head.

I've also noticed an unusual wear pattern on the tires. 1 seems to have a lot of wear. 2 are medium, and 1 has very little wear. The loads in the trailer are usually pretty even, and there was nothing in the trailer when the pics were taken.

I should also point out I've crawled underneath and nothing appears broken.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

The tire wear more than the look would be the thing I'd be worried about. Tires shouldn't wear that differently if everything with the axles is kosher.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree BCM.

OP, have you any pictures of the trailer in it's earlier "years"? Any way you can tell IF something is changing structural wise?

The tires. I do know that the newer , straighter towing tandem setups are not tire friendly. It would not surprise me one bit if the front tandem set wear differently than the rear would. Taking a simple corner would be a wear factor and one or more tire will almost be moving sideways on the asphalt or concrete surface. My tandems on our new trailer are set apart similar to yours, maybe a little further apart. The service team where I bought it from could not emphasize enough to me to maintain the trailer tires and be ready to buy another set sooner than you would think.

Just my humble opinion !
Old 08-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

My guess is that there is a broken spring (VERY HARD TO SEE BUT LIKELY THE CULPRIT), hanger or U-bolt on the right, rear wheel.

Looking at the center equalizer, if the trailer is on level ground, it should look even as well. That one appears tilted, showing the right rear tire is riding high with less support (trailer and fender sitting lower or closer to the tire and ground).

The left side equalizer looks only slightly tilted because it is compensating for the right side riding so low.

The uneven tire wear is a result of towing with the suspension being messed up. 1 tire took a much lesser load, 2 took a similar load and the last one took the brunt of the load. To keep things even, it would probably be wise to change out the under and overloaded tires and put them on either side of the same axle.

Last edited by clarkbre; 08-30-2017 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clarkbre:
etrailerTeam (08-31-2017), Simnut (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by clarkbre
My guess is that there is a broken spring (VERY HARD TO SEE BUT LIKELY THE CULPRIT), hanger or U-bolt on the right, rear wheel.

Looking at the center equalizer, if the trailer is on level ground, it should look even as well. That one appears tilted, showing the right rear tire is riding high with less support (trailer and fender sitting lower or closer to the tire and ground).

The left side equalizer looks only slightly tilted because it is compensating for the right side riding so low.

The uneven tire wear is a result of towing with the suspension being messed up. 1 tire took a much lesser load, 2 took a similar load and the last one took the brunt of the load. To keep things even, it would probably be wise to change out the under and overloaded tires and put them on either side of the same axle.
That is what I was going to suggest as well.

Should be easy to spot and hopefully easy to fix.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM

I've looked under it and haven't noticed a broken spring but I will look again. Hopefully that is the case as it doesn't seem to be a difficult repair.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Seeing that the angles are different between the equalizers, there is something out of whack. You might want to get 4 jack stands and raise the trailer off the ground, supporting the frame and let the axles dangle. Pull the wheels, and check the play in the suspension. You'll find it that way.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I halfway expected criticism for posting this since it isn't really an F150 related problem.

Although I do pull it with an F150.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by iplayloudly
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I halfway expected criticism for posting this since it isn't really an F150 related problem.

Although I do pull it with an F150.
No way!!!

You're asking a valid question after finding something that could put you, others and your equipment at risk. Thank you for looking for guidance. I hope I speak for a majority of the members when I say we are happy to help.

Let us know know what you find. If you do pull that wheel, snap a picture of the suspension for us.
The following 2 users liked this post by clarkbre:
etrailerTeam (08-31-2017), Simnut (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The equalizers look pretty symmetrical to me (remember we're looking at a right vs. left side picture). Have you measured the trailer to see if the fenders are in line with each other?

Edit-- I just looked again. The fenders are not square with each other. The center "hump" between the tires is centered over the equalizer perch on the left. The right fender is forward of center a couple inches. As another point of reference, look at where the seam line of the trailer body panels land on the fenders. That tends to support the right fender being mislocated.

Last edited by PerryB; 08-30-2017 at 07:59 PM.