Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway control conflict

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 PM
Oaf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway control conflict

Just got a new travel trailer and new WDH that uses the bars themselves as sway control. Got everything hooked up at the dealer and headed for home. Around 60 mph it was swaying pretty bad, like low tongue weight. Went back to the dealer and the mechanic suggested that maybe the trucks anti sway system was conflicting with the WDH sway control. He adjusted the brackets to give me more tongue weight, I turned off the trucks sway control and hit the road. No sway at 70 mph+. I stopped at the first rest stop, turned the sway control back on and the sway returned. Turned it off, no sway. Has anyone else experienced this and any theories as to why?

2016 F150,4x4 crew with "long" bed, 3.55 locker rear, 3.5 Eco.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

It seems unlikely that your truck's sway control system would induce sway. I wonder if your bars are still putting on too much pressure; causing a "light" rear end?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Oaf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
It seems unlikely that your truck's sway control system would induce sway. I wonder if your bars are still putting on too much pressure; causing a "light" rear end?
That's what I thought at first, how could the trucks electronic sway control cause sway? But with it on it sways, off it doesn't. I wonder if the reaction of one or the other systems is a fraction of a second off, and it tries to correct what the other had already corrected and then overcompensates causing the sway? I'm going to ask some of my Ford mechanic and service buds if they've ever heard of it.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Osborne (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

I made a comment on another post...when i first started to tow with mine....it felt like a conflict with systems....they/dealer did update-service desk...mech-reset/relearn...
All was good after...
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Here is what you do, now whether you believe it or not, that is up to you.

The built in sway control works off sensors located somewhere in the truck to detect the back end of the truck wagging its tail. When you are going down the highway, look at the trailer through the rearview mirror, and watch it. My 14 had an issue with the OEM shocks in that the back of the truck would oscillate in a figure 8 pattern. Yours may be doing the same thing which could be triggering the sway control, which will fight the WDH sway control. the movement was very subtle, and if it wasn't for the sticker on the nose I wouldn't have noticed it. I replaced the shock with Bilstiens which got rid of the oscillations, and smoothed out the ride.

The electronic sway control is not supposed to kick in unless it detects sway, and for that, your trailer has to move quite a bit, I tested it with mine, and that thing needs to really start swaying. If yours is in fact kicking in without sway, then I would take it to the dealer and have them see if there are any TSB's or updates that can be applied.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne
I made a comment on another post...when i first started to tow with mine....it felt like a conflict with systems....they/dealer did update-service desk...mech-reset/relearn...
All was good after...
Interesting! Don't you wonder sometimes if they are trying to get too smart with the onboard systems?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Interesting! Don't you wonder sometimes if they are trying to get too smart with the onboard systems?
I've been saying that for years!

It seems manufacturers are making it more and more ok for drivers to be inattentive/incompetent.

I say to reduce accidents remove all airbags and replace them with 10" spikes and see how carefully everyone drives.
The following users liked this post:
GrasslandHVAC (03-10-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Havyek
I've been saying that for years!

It seems manufacturers are making it more and more ok for drivers to be inattentive/incompetent.

I say to reduce accidents remove all airbags and replace them with 10" spikes and see how carefully everyone drives.
Ha! There's that! And there is the complexity of these systems that makes things tough to diagnose; and darn near impossible to fix.