Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Springs install problem (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Super Springs install problem (sort of)

So I recently installed a set of Super Springs on my truck and had an unplanned lift of about 1 1/2 inches in the back. Now I'm not necessarily upset with this I have way too much rake in the truck now, it looks silly.
I found a leveling kit by Ready Lift marketed for the FX4 model (I have a platinum) of 1 1/2 inches. My Question is this, will installing this leveling kit effect my towing, especially with the WDH transferring some of the weight throughout the truck? Anyone have experience towing with a leveling kit and please confirm that this should get me back to where I was rake wise before I added the springs? (not being stupid, I honestly don't completely get the leveling thing)
Attached Thumbnails Super Springs install problem (sort of)-image-3844062480.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

What hole is the rear roller in? If you have it in the bottom hole, I don't think there is much else you can do.

The leveling kit should bring it back to original rake which will return you to similar weight distribution on your hitch. Truck angle (and therefore hitch angle) is primarily what determine preload in the bars. The front/rear spring rates also play into this and since you changed the rear it will likely have more weight on the rear axle than the front with same WDH setting. Despite this fact, I would think that a higher truck would not be as stable towing. But, since you have stiffer rear springs, it would probably be a wash or even more stable than before.

It looks like a HD payload truck right now
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Have you contacted SuperSprings? I have them and maybe got a 3/4" raise and other installations I read about say the same. And as the previous post said, make sure you installed it at the lower of the two holes. Also, the adjustable end goes to the rear. You can find some Q&A at
http://www.supersprings.com/supersprings_faqs.asp

A quote from the FAQ:
16. Do they lift the vehicle?
Your vehicle might be lifted marginally, depending on the condition your vehicles spring pack and the application being installed. Should you require lift this can be achieved by installing the rollers in the shackle upper bolt holes or a combination of upper and lower bolt holes.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 02-02-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 AM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

remove the rear blocks
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

One question might be "why do you need the super springs in the first place?" Are you having an issue towing? Adding springs does nothing to increase your towing/payload capacity. Are you trying to tow too much for the truck?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob
One question might be "why do you need the super springs in the first place?" Are you having an issue towing? Adding springs does nothing to increase your towing/payload capacity. Are you trying to tow too much for the truck?
You mean my 40 fifth wheel camper is too much trailer for my truck? Huh, no, I'm very aware of what the capabilities are of my truck. Are you one of those "you need to have a f250" people? I'm towing a 27 ft travel trailer with a tongue weight of 620 lbs loaded and ready to go. I have noticed that the rear suspension in the F150 is way too soft for MY taste when it comes to towing. This truck replaced a Tundra and it's rear suspension felt stiff when compared to this truck and I had much less body roll. The Supersprings are designed to limit sag and sway with a stiffer more solid rear suspension. I put super springs on for the same reason people add air bags and other suspension modifications to improve ride and towing safety. The question I asked was not DO I NEED SUPERSPRINGS (they are already on), it was will a leveling kit cause problems with a WDH and an explanation of what a level kit actually does as I am NOT an expert on that matter. I have never been a person who looked to do a lift or add larger tires to their truck so my lack of knowledge into that is why I made this post. As far what the truck is capable of, no matter what you add you can't exceed it's tow rating and hauling capacitiy that is displayed on the sticker placed on the drivers door!
The following users liked this post:
Twisty (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ya just because a truck manual says it can tow x doesnt mean you cant make it a better towing experience by adding certain parts.

A level kit is a spacer that sits on top of your strut, which lowers the upper mounting position of the strut and raises your front end 1-3" depending on the kit. 1-2" is a safe,worry free, factory ride qaulity amount of lift. 2.5" you lose a small amount of ride qaulity (you wont notice it dricing down the highway but over speed bumps, dirt roads, etc) but its not bad at all. 3" imo is too much but some on here will disagree with me. At some point (imo 3") its too much. You have geometry problems, maxed out ball joints, and a poor ride. 2.5" or less and you wont have any problems. It will not cause any issues with a wdh. In fact its better to have a wdh with a level kit then not as a wdh puts some wieght back on the front end. Hope that helps.

Last edited by M&D; 02-03-2013 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
knauby (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by M&D
Ya just because a truck manual says it can tow x doesnt mean you cant make it a better towing experience by adding certain parts.

A level kit is a spacer that sits on top of your strut, which lowers the upper mounting position of the strut and raises your front end 1-3" depending on the kit. 1-2" is a safe,worry free, factory ride qaulity amount of lift. 2.5" you lose a small amount of ride qaulity (you wont notice it dricing down the highway but over speed bumps, dirt roads, etc) but its not bad at all. 3" imo is too much but some on here will disagree with me. At some point (imo 3") its too much. You have geometry problems, maxed out ball joints, and a poor ride. 2.5" or less and you wont have any problems. It will not cause any issues with a wdh. In fact its better to have a wdh with a level kit then not as a wdh puts some wieght back on the front end. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info! That answers my question perfectly.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like you have the bolts in the wrong holes in the shackles. I helped a friend install his on his chevy and it hardly raised his truck at all, maybe a 1/2". Here is the proper install from his manual.

13. Which hole on the shackle should be used?
The vast majority of all SuperSprings installations involve using the lower bolt holes at all four contact points - front / back / driver side / passenger side. The lower bolt holes installation induces the least amount of preload tension on the SuperSprings thereby lessening their impact on the empty vehicle ride condition which is what most customer prefer. Where clearance is an issue, the upper bolt holes may be used. If additional preload is required because of fatigued springs or a constant load on a vehicle the upper bolt holes should be used.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by knauby
You mean my 40 fifth wheel camper is too much trailer for my truck? Huh, no, I'm very aware of what the capabilities are of my truck. Are you one of those "you need to have a f250" people? I'm towing a 27 ft travel trailer with a tongue weight of 620 lbs loaded and ready to go. I have noticed that the rear suspension in the F150 is way too soft for MY taste when it comes to towing. This truck replaced a Tundra and it's rear suspension felt stiff when compared to this truck and I had much less body roll. The Supersprings are designed to limit sag and sway with a stiffer more solid rear suspension. I put super springs on for the same reason people add air bags and other suspension modifications to improve ride and towing safety. The question I asked was not DO I NEED SUPERSPRINGS (they are already on), it was will a leveling kit cause problems with a WDH and an explanation of what a level kit actually does as I am NOT an expert on that matter. I have never been a person who looked to do a lift or add larger tires to their truck so my lack of knowledge into that is why I made this post. As far what the truck is capable of, no matter what you add you can't exceed it's tow rating and hauling capacitiy that is displayed on the sticker placed on the drivers door!
Fine, but I think you are just compounding your problems. Perhaps the super springs are a bad choice.

Quick Reply: Super Springs install problem (sort of)