Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running generator while towing TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Running generator while towing TT?

I'm contemplating powering my Travel Trailer from a generator in the bed of my truck while towing it down the highway. On really hot days, this would allow me to power the A/C and have the trailer cooled when I stop for lunch or get to the campsite and start setting up. Didn't know if anyone else has done this? What would be the disadvantages of doing this, if any? Considerations?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Well, the problem I see is the power cord dangling from the side of the trailer as you go down the road. That would be my only concern, as long as the genset is secured from moving around.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

I would just open the roof vents and turn on the fans.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Default I have done this.

Originally Posted by NC F150
I'm contemplating powering my Travel Trailer from a generator in the bed of my truck while towing it down the highway. On really hot days, this would allow me to power the A/C and have the trailer cooled when I stop for lunch or get to the campsite and start setting up. Didn't know if anyone else has done this? What would be the disadvantages of doing this, if any? Considerations?

Hi, I mounted a Yamaha 2400 in my bed. I had to make a turned up exhaust pipe for it. I also made a generator inlet connection on the front of my trailer. I made this for the same purpose as you want.
Attached Thumbnails Running generator while towing TT?-dsc06875.jpg  
Old 05-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NC F150
Mount an outlet on the front of the travel trailer and make yourself a short cable from the genny to it.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Make sure that your generator has enough amperage to run the AC. I know when I use to plug into my in-laws 120v for a quick visit I couldn't run the AC due to amperage (15a outlet). I also had a Class C that I would run the onboard gen on the highway so we could cool the camper better since the van A/C wasn't that powerful. It can be done, just be safe about it...
Old 05-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't see why not. It'd be nice to get to camp and have a cool interior.When I was a kid my sisters and I would ride in 5th wheel with the on-board generator running and the A/C on. Mom and Dad got to drive in peace. I'm probably going to hear about all the things wrong with doing that, but somehow we survived.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
When I was a kid my sisters and I would ride in 5th wheel with the on-board generator running and the A/C on. Mom and Dad got to drive in peace. I'm probably going to hear about all the things wrong with doing that, but somehow we survived.

Yeah, the over-reaching nanny governments have changed to rules by taking away some of our freedom to risk our necks. Back in 1977-80, I had a conversion van with 4 captain's chairs. Behind the back seats was a bare floor covered by 2" high-density foam and thick plush carpeting that made a great bed or playground for my two teeny-booper-aged kids. Instead of riding in their seats, the kids usually chose to lie around on the padded floor in the back of the van. Can't do that today because of the seat-belt laws. Both those kids are now grown with college-age kids of their own, so somehow they survived too.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokeywren:
BeardedSinner (05-21-2022), PerryB (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Some states allow passengers in 5th wheel trailers, not many, but some still do.

I remember riding in the back of a station wagon, no seat belts back there, but they did have seats.

I have considered getting a gen mount that goes over the LP tanks, and I could run the gen while traveling, but the power cord is near the back of the trailer. Running an outlet to the front wont work either, the belly of the trailer is sealed with foam.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Some states allow passengers in 5th wheel trailers, not many, but some still do.

I remember riding in the back of a station wagon, no seat belts back there, but they did have seats.

I have considered getting a gen mount that goes over the LP tanks, and I could run the gen while traveling, but the power cord is near the back of the trailer. Running an outlet to the front wont work either, the belly of the trailer is sealed with foam.
Add a platform to the back or a Reese hitch and platform with the gen set bolted/strapped to it.