Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recognizing different trailers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Recognizing different trailers

I have two trailers that I regularly tow and have set them up in my 2018s trailer setup. However, I noticed whenever i plug one or the other in, the truck defaults to the last trailer plugged in. My camper is a 7 pin and my atv trailer is a 4 pin.

Is this normal? Or should it detect the specific trailer?

Lou
Old 05-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 16 defaults to the last trailer that was connected.
The following users liked this post:
Sweetlou (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

If the OP only has a seven pin and a four pin setup in the menu, it would be a backwards step to not automatically select the trailer (as my '15 does). If there were more than one of a given type (two trailers with brakes), the system would not be able to differentiate between them, and defaulting to the last trailer used would be a big convenience for RV campers and contractors.

But if it's just one braked trailer and one non-braked trailer, the system should discern the two. If not, thanks a lot, Ford.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I have 3 trailers setup, always defaults to last trailer. At least it doesn't default to default.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow both a 4 trailer and a 7 pin trailer, it always defaults to the last one I selected.

Honestly, I'm glad it does. If, for some reason, the truck thought the trailer had disconnected while driving, then reconnected and it "recognized" it as something else, that could be disastrous.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
But if it's just one braked trailer and one non-braked trailer, the system should discern the two. If not, thanks a lot, Ford.
Your truck isn't going to wipe for you, either. You still have to use your own common sense occasionally (which is probably why common sense is becoming less-common). If you know how to make it work better, redesign the system & license it to Ford. You'll make gobs of money.

But just be sure you think through all the FAILURE MODES... Like if a trailer brake circuit burns out or is damaged in-tow, and the truck thinks you're hooked to a different trailer all of a sudden.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
Your truck isn't going to wipe for you, either. You still have to use your own common sense occasionally (which is probably why common sense is becoming less-common). If you know how to make it work better, redesign the system & license it to Ford. You'll make gobs of money.

But just be sure you think through all the FAILURE MODES... Like if a trailer brake circuit burns out or is damaged in-tow, and the truck thinks you're hooked to a different trailer all of a sudden.
Not sure why you think I need to redesign the system, I simply commented on how my system is working and that if Ford made this change, they are taking away a good feature.

All safety features are in place IN THE SCENARIO I PRESENTED. I have a braked trailer that hooks to the seven pin, and a non-braked trailer that hooks to the four-pin. There is no way for the system to mistake one trailer for the other. When I was having issues with the brakes on the larger trailer, the system wouldn't mistake it for the no-brake trailer that gets hooked to the four-pin, it would issue a brake failure warning. If I use a seven to four pin adaptor, the system defaults to the last 7-pin trailer used, and I have to manually change it in the menu. Everything works as intended, and safely, as designed by Ford.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a TT with electric brakes and a a boat trailer with no brakes. I use a 7pin adapter on the boat trailer as the plug has 5 connectors which I assume is for a brake option. I have to select the correct trailer each time I hook up, but selected "no brakes' in the boat trailer setup. I have to use the 7 pin adapter as it won't fit into the ford oem plug on the bumper.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks, so this is normal. I suppose it makes sense based on the failure possibilities. Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve83;6206558]Your truck isn't going to wipe for you, either. You still have to use your own common sense occasionally (which is probably why common sense is becoming less-common). If you know how to make it work better, redesign the system & license it to Ford. You'll make gobs of money.

But just be sure you think through all the FAILURE MODES... Like if a trailer brake circuit burns out or is damaged in-tow, and the truck thinks you're hooked to a different trailer all of a sudden.[/QUOTE]

There you go, precisely why it does this. That would be a bad thing if you are going down a grade and forget to switch trailers, or have a connection glitch and have it switch to a small trailer with no brakes. Although if connected to 7 pin, I think the brakes will function regardless of the trailer setting, just not at the configured settings.

Quick Reply: Recognizing different trailers