Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear springs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear springs, etc.

Ok, I’ve read everything here on this subject. I have original rear leafs on my 2012 extra cab and they’re sagging after 70000 miles. People here have mentioned upgrading to better after market springs. Anyone have suggestions as to which brand? I’d like the same ride as new, just something that might hold up better. And wouldn’t mind if they lifted rear end 1 or 2 inches higher than factory. I just don’t want it to ride like an F250. My bilstien 5100s on the rear are also shot. I’ve lately heard that they’re not as good as they used to be. What’s better? Fox 2.0s? I’m also going to install air bags so with them deflated I’d have normal F150 ride and could inflate to handle our new trailer w approx 900lbs tongue weight. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Deaver can make a set of custom leafs for you I believe. I think your options as far as ride height, stiffness, etc, are semi-limitless.

I have bilstien 5100's on my 2014 that are 1.5 years old and they have been great. No issues with them.

You dont wanna use air bags to handle the tongue weight of your trailer, you want to use a Weigh Distributing Hitch for that. Air bags are a bandaid. Of course, this all goes out the window if your trailer is a 5th wheel.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:09 AM
Scoundrel

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts

I liked using Old Man Emu leaf stacks on two previous vehicles, each with a 2" and 3" lift. So far my F150 is still stock.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mass-hole,

I see you are running Bilstein's with the Airlifts.
I've a 2014 Lariat, tow package, but not max tow, limit is 9300#s.
My 6800# travel trailer was porpoising on my when I towed up 285 west of Denver (concrete seams).
I've within spec on everything, given what the CAT scale shows.
I'm considering Bilstein's and/or Airbags, uncertain if one or the other would really help that much.

What has your experience been?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Quick Reply: Rear springs, etc.