Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick trailer question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick trailer question?

I am looking to buy a 6.5x15 double axle utility trailer. The trailer has electric brakes with a 7 way plug. I am going to buy the factory brake controller. But if I just want to bring trailer home this weekend (20 min drive) could I just plug in the supplied fuses (came in my glovebox) to make the lights work on the trailer. Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuse and relay are for the charge line to the trailer, the lights will work w/o them.
Depending on your state's law, you may be legally required to have working trailer brakes before you tow it home.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mbopp
Depending on your state's law, you may be legally required to have working trailer brakes before you tow it home.
Yep, it's usually around 3,000 pounds.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Ok I am going to get the factory brake controller I put in the supplied fuses and relay but in the bag in my glove box there is another connector with red, white, green and blue wires coming out of it. Do I need this, I thought that behind the cubby (below my four wheel drive) there should just be a connector to plug into the tbc. What is this other plug for?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Most likely that's a pigtail to go from the connector that's right above the brake and gas pedals to a trailer brake controller. My truck came with the trailer brake controller installed, so I'm not sure if it's supplied with it's own harness or if you use that pigtail. Most newer controllers will just have a connector on both ends nowadays, though and you won't need to use that pigtail. Do you have the part # for the factory TBC that you're getting?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's for an aftermarket controller. For $10 or $15 you can buy a vehicle-specific harness to hook up an aftermarket controller. But if you're cheap like me you splice the wires from the Ford harness to the aftermarket controller and save the cost of a new harness.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Ok thanks going for a stock look so going to use factory brake controller. Thanks

Quick Reply: Quick trailer question?