Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick report on my Sumo Spring install

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:46 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Default A quick report on my Sumo Spring install

Good evening ladies and gentlemen!!! You decide which one you are!

Well, my Sumo Springs came today and took under a half hour to install them. These are the type that replace your factory bump stop so it's undo a bolt........tighten a bolt. Here is a comparison of the two....you can guess which is the stock one and which is the Sumo Spring.

Yea...I thought so too LOL

This is a before install and after install photo under the truck.

Easy as having desert. That reminds me...remind me to have some desert yet as I left the house as soon as I had them installed and did a nice curvy road around the lake here to give 'er a test. A test without the trailer attached of course.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. In corners where I could not maintain a 10kph over posted speed with the cruise control.....now I can. The body roll of this thing has been cut in half in my opinion.....was far less scary not touching the brakes! But this is the weird thing. I felt less jarring bumps on the back end than I did before. I felt them less on the rear than on the front suspension of my F150. That was much different than before!

My next big test will be hooking up our trailer and see what the difference will be. This IS the real reason I installed these...to help in anyway in how my pickup rides and drives under that load. These springs do NOT change my rear axle GVWR and I have zero intentions of going over. But because I am so close to my max....I wanted to help out my truck handle it in a way that made sense. For those that are interested....I'll try to do it tomorrow and report again.

I am just letting those interested about these things or would generate interest...or help someone with my "experiment".

Edit to add:....yea...desert time!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Simnut:
acdii (08-16-2017), GTA150 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Really looking forward to your review when towing. I'm considering heavier leafs but these may be a better and cheaper option.
The following users liked this post:
Simnut (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I'm giving them serious thought, and now that I see how the fit, just may go ahead and get them. Do they rest on the axle tube without a load, or is there a gap?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
I'm giving them serious thought, and now that I see how the fit, just may go ahead and get them. Do they rest on the axle tube without a load, or is there a gap?
They JUST touch the axle with the truck sitting stock with a full tank of fuel. This means they start to help out the springs the minute you put load onto that axle....whether it be gravel or in a turn. I WILL hook up the trailer tomorrow at the latest, maybe even tonight. My wife is out with my oldest looking for an engagement ring. Yea....another one. lol I may have the time tonight. If it is helping me now...it can't help but help me then!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

for towing or hauling i recommend supersprings, i love both though and have had both.
Simnut (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 PM

I'm quite sure there is a benefit if the Border Patrol puts them on their trucks. ZERO maintenance on them.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Arent Sumosprings from supersprings?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

yes. and were originally developed for the us military and boarder patrol.
Simnut (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

It's interesting how this ancillary spring mounts in exactly the same place as an airbag but is somehow different. ......