Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payload Question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Payload Question???

Saw a post earlier where the OP was counting the weight of his new wheels/tires against the payload of his truck. Put the question in my mind; does tire/wheel weight count against payload of the truck. From my thinking, and I could very well be wrong, since the tires/wheels support the entire truck, their weights have nothing to do with actual payload. Hope I'm right since I just brought new much bigger LT tires. Cheers.....
Old 03-09-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Ford makes the sticker for stock truck...so yes any changes...need to be re calculated......but most don' t care....so have fun...
Old 03-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bstar1952
Saw a post earlier where the OP was counting the weight of his new wheels/tires against the payload of his truck. Put the question in my mind; does tire/wheel weight count against payload of the truck. From my thinking, and I could very well be wrong, since the tires/wheels support the entire truck, their weights have nothing to do with actual payload. Hope I'm right since I just brought new much bigger LT tires. Cheers.....
My guess is they don't make a difference in the payload itself per se...but would make a difference on the GVWR. THAT may interfere with the payload rating.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I sort of agree the weight is on the ground and not really payload but it would affect other things such as braking. So I bet from the design point of view their extra weight counts.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Payload rating is based upon the GVWR minus tare weight, the empty weight of the vehicle.

As an example, think about a F600 hauling a load of corn. The maximum weight of a loaded truck is 18,000 pounds, and tare weight is 5800 pounds so you'll carry 12,700 pounds (or 227 bushels) of corn. If I put tires and wheels on the F600 that weigh 400 pounds more, my payload is now 400 pounds less. I can still drive over scales weighing a max 18,000 pounds, but can transport only 12,300 pounds of corn; 7.14 bushels less per load. (On vintage unrestored pickup trucks, you may see the tare weight painted on the doors)

The concept is the same for an F150 as a F600.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

The payload printed on the door is a rough estimate. Weigh the truck with any accessories and cargo. Add the weight of any passengers. Subtract that from the GVWR and you have the actual payload. It will never be more than the number on the printout and often quite a bit less
Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
The payload printed on the door is a rough estimate. Weigh the truck with any accessories and cargo. Add the weight of any passengers. Subtract that from the GVWR and you have the actual payload. It will never be more than the number on the printout and often quite a bit less
Agreed.

GVWR - Actual weight of the vehicle = Allowable payload capacity.

The reality of it is, as soon as you start adding accessories, your payload is decreased. And, it can start adding up quick. Think about a tonneau cover, rubber bed mat and floor mats. That could easily add 200 pounds right there, decreasing the payload.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr

I could see plus or minus 1.....but it's not a rough estimate.......it's very accurate!!!!!

lol
Old 03-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

It's also possible to increase payload capacity with accessories. replacing the large OEM muffler and resonator with a smaller/lighter aftermarket option could very well increase it a few pounds. Or if you swapped your stock 20"wheels and tires for lighter 18"s and/or lighter rubber. HOWEVER, it's not going to increase the GVWR which is the real rating that the payload is calculated from.

Quick Reply: Payload Question???