Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New trailer & hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New trailer & hitch

Ok - hopefully this'll be the most ignorant thread any of you run into today.

In a couple weeks, we're picking up our first RV trailer. It's not a huge heavy thing - 22' length (to ball) w/ a claimed dry weight of 3700 lbs. Empty and new, I'm not positive what the tongue weight will be - they list a dry tongue weight of around 430 lbs.

Not being sure what the tongue weight will be once the LP tanks are filled and a battery is on the tongue, I was thinking of starting right out with a WD hitch as clearly I'll end up over 500 in no time. I've not read much of anything good on the one the dealer carries (Eaz hitch) and was going to pick up an Equalizer.

Here's where I get a bit lost. I can get the hitch quickly enough to get it mostly assembled before I go pick up the trailer. But I have no idea how I'm going to get it set up enough to tow the rig home.

-> Do I bring tools, etc to the dealer and take up space on their lot while I sort out how to get it installed on the truck/trailer combo? FWIW - it's a *very* crowded/busy lot.

-> At the time I pick it up, I'm guessing it will still be a *bit* below 500 lbs TW. Could I just assemble the WD hitch "head" (for lack of a better term) and use it as a straight up ball hitch to get the rig home? The drive home is only about 15 miles, and I can do it all on sub 50mph roads.

-> Should I go to the dealer ahead of time and try to get the hitch height measurement?

Thanks for reading this.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Janitor308
Ok - hopefully this'll be the most ignorant thread any of you run into today.

In a couple weeks, we're picking up our first RV trailer. It's not a huge heavy thing - 22' length (to ball) w/ a claimed dry weight of 3700 lbs. Empty and new, I'm not positive what the tongue weight will be - they list a dry tongue weight of around 430 lbs.

Not being sure what the tongue weight will be once the LP tanks are filled and a battery is on the tongue, I was thinking of starting right out with a WD hitch as clearly I'll end up over 500 in no time. I've not read much of anything good on the one the dealer carries (Eaz hitch) and was going to pick up an Equalizer.

Here's where I get a bit lost. I can get the hitch quickly enough to get it mostly assembled before I go pick up the trailer. But I have no idea how I'm going to get it set up enough to tow the rig home.

-> Do I bring tools, etc to the dealer and take up space on their lot while I sort out how to get it installed on the truck/trailer combo? FWIW - it's a *very* crowded/busy lot.

-> At the time I pick it up, I'm guessing it will still be a *bit* below 500 lbs TW. Could I just assemble the WD hitch "head" (for lack of a better term) and use it as a straight up ball hitch to get the rig home? The drive home is only about 15 miles, and I can do it all on sub 50mph roads.

-> Should I go to the dealer ahead of time and try to get the hitch height measurement?

Thanks for reading this.
I would go get the measurement and get the hitch set up as best you can before you go. It tends to be a fine tuning thing anyway so unless you get lucky, the first setup probably won't be the final setup.
The following users liked this post:
Janitor308 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd just drive it home without the WDH. It isn't far and the hitch weight is not going to be much over 500 (and probably under). If the dealer fills your propane tanks, you can always carry them in the truck to keep it close to your dry hitch weight.

You can then take your time installing the WDH. But I wouldn't try to setup the WDH until your TT is close to its loaded weight.
The following 2 users liked this post by massspike:
Janitor308 (03-30-2018), Simnut (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by massspike
I'd just drive it home without the WDH. It isn't far and the hitch weight is not going to be much over 500 (and probably under). If the dealer fills your propane tanks, you can always carry them in the truck to keep it close to your dry hitch weight.

You can then take your time installing the WDH. But I wouldn't try to setup the WDH until your TT is close to its loaded weight.
Kind of what I was leaning towards (including putting the LP tanks into the forward end of the truck bed). Now, to spend some time fussing over how I'm going to get a ball on the truck to tow it home.

Could I put on the WD hitch and just leave the spring bars off of it to just do a 'straight' tow?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, you could tow with now spring bars to get it home. You WILL likely need to set the hitch up just a bit before leaving just to get the starting height set so you aren't towing the trailer with significant nose high/low issues.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Janitor308
......Could I put on the WD hitch and just leave the spring bars off of it to just do a 'straight' tow?
Yes. Most (if not all) hitches will have a weight rating to use without the WD bars installed. It's likely right about 500 or 600 tongue weight.

And, you should be fine getting it home without the bars and then setting it up at home. If the trailer had a tongue weight of say 800+ pounds, I would have a different suggestion for you.

Another hitch to look at similar to the Equalizer is the Husky Centerline TS. Here's the link:
Husky 32216 Center Line TS with Spring Bars - 400 lb. to 600 lb. Tongue Weight Capacity (2-5/16" Ball) Husky 32216 Center Line TS with Spring Bars - 400 lb. to 600 lb. Tongue Weight Capacity (2-5/16" Ball)
It is a very basic, but functional hitch that includes a 4 point sway control system. For your size trailer it would be very adequate.
Janitor308 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer will probably set the hitch and the bars up for you to show you how to do it if it’s your first time. Ours did as part of their package along with the walk through to show you how everything works. I should mention this is a starting point to get you home as I made adjustments to the set up myself when I got home.
tomt5078 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetthetwins
The dealer will probably set the hitch and the bars up for you to show you how to do it if it’s your first time. Ours did as part of their package along with the walk through to show you how everything works. I should mention this is a starting point to get you home as I made adjustments to the set up myself when I got home.
This. And if your dealer doesn't want to set you up properly......they are not doing their job.
The following 2 users liked this post by Simnut:
Ricktwuhk (03-30-2018), tomt5078 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by clarkbre
Yes. Most (if not all) hitches will have a weight rating to use without the WD bars installed. It's likely right about 500 or 600 tongue weight.

And, you should be fine getting it home without the bars and then setting it up at home. If the trailer had a tongue weight of say 800+ pounds, I would have a different suggestion for you.

Another hitch to look at similar to the Equalizer is the Husky Centerline TS. Here's the link: Husky 32216 Center Line TS with Spring Bars - 400 lb. to 600 lb. Tongue Weight Capacity (2-5/16" Ball)
It is a very basic, but functional hitch that includes a 4 point sway control system. For your size trailer it would be very adequate.
Thanks!

I was thinking I should get 1000lb bars with the hitch. The calculator on the Equalizer site puts it on 1000lb bars with only 150lb in the truck behind the back axle and a trailer gvw of 4,500lbs. I'm fairly certain the tongue will be @ 500lb before I have anything loaded into the trailer.

All that said- at this point, other than a couple fly rods {that don't weigh hundreds of pounds) and possibly a couple hundred pounds of water I'm unsure what exactly I'll be wanting to stow in the trailer itself (in front of the axle). On the extremely outside chance it's not obvious, this is all brand new to us.

Last edited by Janitor308; 03-30-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meetthetwins
Oh - they offered to set up one of the hitches they sell - for a 1.5 hour labor charge.

I'm sure it will take me more than 1.5 hours to do it myself, but if I don't like the hitch they sell ...

Quick Reply: New trailer & hitch