Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New trailer came off hitch ball

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default New trailer came off hitch ball

I just recently purchased a new trailer and according to the manufacturer it uses a 2" ball. The other day when I was pulling the trailer somehow it became disconnected from the ball. thank God I had the chains attached to the hitch or else I would've had a runaway trailer.
I just hooked up my trailer again and upon looking where the sleeve attaches up against the ball when the latch is closed it doesn't seem like there is much "real estate" up against the ball. As you can see in the picture the sleeve looks like it does not go towards the bottom of the ball like it should
Any ideas here?
Attached Thumbnails New trailer came off hitch ball-image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

There won't be a lot on the ball. It is more focused on containing the ball rather than holding onto it. The more that actually touches the ball the harder for the trailer to move around and more wear on the trailer's receiver.

Looks like it drug down the road some so you might have shifted some due to that, but it looks about the same as mine. Are you positive the hitch was latched? It was a new trailer so maybe it didn't latch down all the way.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 AM

It was deff latched and pinned
Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

You need to adjust the trailer tongue so the clamp latches securely under the ball. There is a nut that you can turn with a socket to close it in tighter...

That picture shows me that you have it improperly attached, it is not seating down far enough on the ball so that the clamp is under the ball. I assume you know what you're doing, i.e. seating the tailer on the ball with the clamp all the way open, and ensuring that it's all the way down on the ball before attempting to clamp it?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 AM

I didn't know about he adjustment with be socket nut. Yes, the latch was open when I was seating the trailer on the ball. Once the trailer was seated, i latched it down and put the safety pin on.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:21 PM

It latch definitely looks too loose and out of adjustment.

The latch just holds the ball into the socket but if the latch isn't holding the ball in far enough than the ball just pops out. I adjust with the ball full in and the latch engaged. Do not make it too tight as this may restrict movement. Check out you tube to some good video stuff on this.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM

The wedge is deff touching the ball. I tightened the bolt, and the latch would not lock shut, so I had to loosen it a bit (which is the same point I was originally at" and the latch would close. It's not too loose or too tight.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Just make sure that it doesn't require a 2-5/16" ball.

It should be clearly marked on the coupler.

Attached Thumbnails New trailer came off hitch ball-image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow that that is pretty scary. I feel for you in knowing it could happen again if you don't find the exact cause. If it's coupled I'd try to put a lot of pressure on it with the jack just to see if something is failing? Otherwise I'd also check the ball requirements as the poster above suggested.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:07 PM

It says 2" on the ball and coupler.

Quick Reply: New trailer came off hitch ball