Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new tires

I have a 2011 lariat limited, and i am going to tow a tt, that weights about 7500 lbs total weight, i want to go with some different tires and rims, i will tow across the country, i need some help on what kind of tires and wheels. Has any one changed the tires and rims this truck, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

A larger wheel would give you less side wall rubber which will help a little with side sway/ flex. You could get steel valve stems so you can run closer to max tire pressure.

I'd advise against increasing plys (E load range AKA 10 ply). It only gives a "false sense" of increased load capacity, while the rest of your truck is still rated for the same weight. Plus, they ride like crap on a 1/2 ton truck when not loaded.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JCooper
A larger wheel would give you less side wall rubber which will help a little with side sway/ flex. You could get steel valve stems so you can run closer to max tire pressure. I'd advise against increasing plys (E load range AKA 10 ply). It only gives a "false sense" of increased load capacity, while the rest of your truck is still rated for the same weight. Plus, they ride like crap on a 1/2 ton truck when not loaded.
True but they are more stable with a load on them and won't be as susceptible to flexing.

You just have to consider the pro/cons and decide if 10 plies are right for you. 7500lbs is quite a load but P Metric tires are acceptable on our trucks.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also keep in mind that a stiffer tire ( to keep in higher pressure) as a 10PR/E-load tire is, needs more pressure for the same load as a 4PR/P-tire.
Or the other way around , the loadcapacity of a 10PR is lower for the same pressure as a 4PR /P-tire.
So you will need higher pressures then given on the plancard on the car somewhere, because they are for P-tires probably.

In Holland , where I live, even Motorhomes are at highest suplied with D-load/8PR tires . Its hard to find an E-load/10PR tire here.
So if your P-tires advice gives 30 psi fi , the 110PR would need about 40 psi for that load. The higher pressure makes the sidewall stiffer too so lesser surface on the ground at the same deflection of the tire.

If you once decided about the tires, give details as maximum load and pressure written on sidewall, and from car GAWR's or real weighed loads per axle or beter per tire(pair), and I will calculate a save pressure for them with my motorhome-tire-pressure-calculator, wich can also be used for your car, because of the speed used lower then 99m/160km/h and no camber angle used of importance probably.
Or give some different tires you found with their data , and I will compare.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Replaced my P rated Pirelli's with Michelin LT E's:
Michelin LTX MS/2, LT245/75R17E
These are all-seasons, not all-terrain/off-road tires. But are supposed to have pretty good snow traction.

Also went with a smaller wheel size as the tires are a lot cheaper that way, and I figured the more sidewall the better ride with stiffer LT's.

Pressure them up to 48-50psi so they have the same load rating as the original P's. That's all I need as I don't overload the truck.

Very happy with the crisp ride and lack of squirm/flex under heavy load. I also figure the LT-E rating and bigger sidewalls will give better protection against potholes and road debris.

With the original P's, I inflated them to max pressure (on the side wall) when towing to help with the squirm.

Last edited by brulaz; 11-07-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am looking at changing the original F150 tires from P235 75 R17 to LT245 75 R17 for hauling a 5th wheel travel trailer.

I have an inquiry;

With the present the weight distribution for the truck, could I only use the Lt tires on the rear axle as the front tires are considerably under the load rating for the present P235 tires.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by macleadv
With the present the weight distribution for the truck, could I only use the Lt tires on the rear axle as the front tires are considerably under the load rating for the present P235 tires.

Thanks

I wouldn't.

Everything I've heard is that you want the exact same tires on all 4 corners.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by macleadv
I too am looking at changing the original F150 tires from P235 75 R17 to LT245 75 R17 for hauling a 5th wheel travel trailer.
Unless you have one of the very special F-150s with the 7-lug wheels, 99% of the fifth wheel travel trailers will overload your F-150.

Only if the LT tires are the same exact size and tread as the P-Series tires on the front axle. So no, you shouldn't tow with P235 on the front axle and LT245 on the rear axle.

My tires are P-265/60R18 with A/S tread. Nobody makes an LT tire with A/S tread in size LT-265/60R18. So I can't do what you're suggesting. They closest size I can find in an LT tire is a LT275/65R18 that has 647 revs/mile compared to 682 revs/mile for the shorter P-265/60R18. That's a 5% difference in the speedo, odo, and tripmeter error, and equivalent rear axle ratio. (My 3.15 axle would "feel like" a 2.99 ratio.)

So I'll stick with the P-series tires and just try to not overload my poor little F-150.

Quick Reply: new tires