Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Tow, The Misnomer

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Max Tow, The Misnomer

Buyer Beware

If you are shopping for a truck with Max Tow package, thinking it will give the truck it's maximum towing capacity per the Ford towing guide, Don't! It does not magically add to the payload of the truck, but in fact lowers it. If you want to tow the maximum per the guide you need to read the fine print.

To get the full 13,200 pounds towing capability, you have to have the XL Screw with 6.5' bed,RWD , 3.5 EB, and max tow package. That is the only truck that can tow a 13,200 pound trailer. It must also be the base model with no other options.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r5_Apr04.pdf
Max towing on 2018 F-150 XL SuperCrew®,6.5' box, 3.5L EcoBoost engine, 4x2 andMax Trailer Tow Package.
What the Max Tow package does give is a heavier duty hitch that allows for the TW of a 13,200 pound trailer @ 10%. It includes the ITBC, 36 gallon tank, and heavier duty suspension components. This would be the only reason to get the Max Tow package in anything other than a base XL Screw LB. It will save money on the MSRP vs adding the components individually except for the suspension and hitch. There is no reason not to get it, as long as it is not to tow 13,200 pounds with a Platinum.

IOW, Ford really needs to come up with a more conducive name for this package as it is misleading.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

If you're looking to tow a 13,000# trailer, a F150 is a bad choice in the base case.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM

That's true, but considering how they are advertised, and if you look at the number of times people post, can my truck tow this, or what's the max I can tow postings, you can see that the advertising is working in that people buy these trucks thinking that they have a huge towing capacity when in reality they don't. Same goes for the Max Tow package. A lot of posters think because they have Max Tow that they can tow a heavy trailer, when in reality, it has nothing to do with how much can be towed, just in that it is a package that has all the options for towing, the large fuel tank, better suspension and highest tow hitch.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I agree you have to be very careful, and max tow doesn't automatically mean you can how 13k. It's a game they all play. I got the max tow for the options you listed, but would never dream of towing a heavy trailer with it.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

In my opinion it's the salesman's job to learn the buyer's intentions, and point them in the right direction if they're mislead. Most of the salesmen I talked to before I ordered my truck, did not understand trucks. They knew the features but not the functions. You can't sell trucks to people who use them, like you would sell them a car.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I posted this a while ago. I think you need the HDPP to tow heavy.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeman1
I posted this a while ago. I think you need the HDPP to tow heavy.
Nope, another misnomer. The fine print specifically states an XL Screw 3.5 EB long bed with max tow package. It is kind of misleading, but the HDPP isn't rated at the 13,200 pound tow limit either. Not that you can't, but according to the Ford tow guide, only one specific truck is rated to 13,200 pounds trailer towing. The HDPP gives the most payload of 3270 pounds to get best in class cargo, but again only on one specific model.

Max payload on 2018 F-150 XL RegularCab, 8' box, 5.0L engine, 4x2, Heavy-DutyPayload Package and 18" heavy-dutywheels.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

They all do this, advertise the maximum towing capacity, using a base truck, Ford, GM and Dodge. They do the same with all three brand 3/4 ton trucks and 1 ton trucks. In Fact in 01 Both Ford and GMC and Chevy advertised their 3/4 ton could pull more than the 1 ton. This was impossible though as the pin weight of a 16K RV was higher than the payload of a 3/4 ton truck. There were conventional hitch trailer hitches rated for more than 12K then.

You have to know what your buying, and what you want it to do. All a Salesman cares about is making a sale, be it the RV dealer, Truck dealer or what ever. Ford wants to brag they can out pull GMC and so on. You have to read between the lines, and bs.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 759 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
They all do this, advertise the maximum towing capacity, using a base truck, Ford, GM and Dodge. They do the same with all three brand 3/4 ton trucks and 1 ton trucks. In Fact in 01 Both Ford and GMC and Chevy advertised their 3/4 ton could pull more than the 1 ton. This was impossible though as the pin weight of a 16K RV was higher than the payload of a 3/4 ton truck. There were conventional hitch trailer hitches rated for more than 12K then.

You have to know what your buying, and what you want it to do. All a Salesman cares about is making a sale, be it the RV dealer, Truck dealer or what ever. Ford wants to brag they can out pull GMC and so on. You have to read between the lines, and bs.
I agree it's not just a Ford thing GM and Ram also do it!!!!
Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 AM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

There has to be a baseline to start the statistics from.

Would it be less confusing to give the lowest possible towing capacity and then have to add up your tow capacity as you look at lower trim lighter models?

Its called a calculator(your phone has/is one). Payload-GVWR=curb weight.(located in the door frame of all vehicles)

max towing rating per the guide-curb weight=your trucks real towing capacity.

Quick Reply: Max Tow, The Misnomer