Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Toyhauler

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts

Default Looking for Toyhauler

Any recommendations? Will be pulling with my truck in my sig with my Harley inside. Prefer a front bed that is separated.

I do have the payload and towing package.

Really wondering if there are brands to be avoided.

Last edited by tsigwing; 10-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

whats the payload # on the yellow sticker?
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (10-17-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM

1733 lbs
Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
Any recommendations?

First step is to determine how heavy a "bumper-pull" toy hauler you can tow without being overloaded. With gross available payload of 1733 pounds, that's a small toy hauler.

Load the truck with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing, including passengers, pets, tools, jack(s) and jackstands, campfire wood, and anything else that might be in the truck when towing. Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Weigh the wet and loaded pickup.

Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded pickup from the GVWR of the pickup. The answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

Divide that payload capacity available for hitch weight by 0.13 and the answer is the max GVWR of any bumper-pull (receiver hitch) toy hauler you want to buy. Don't even think about a gooseneck or fifth wheel trailer - their hitch weight is higher than a bumper-pull travel trailer - averaging 18% instead of 13% of gross trailer weight.

If the trailer specs don't include the GVWR of the trailer, then GVWR = dry trailer weight plus cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of the trailer.

After you weigh the wet and loaded pickup and compute the max GVWR of any toy hauler you can tow without being overloaded, let us know and someone can then recommend a toy hauler that will not overload your tow vehicle. Ignore anyone that suggests you buy a trailer that could exceed your computed available payload capacity for hitch weight.

Last edited by smokeywren; 10-18-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Have you looked at the builders that custom make trailers? They are closer to a cargo trailer than a camper, but likewise, the trailers are far lighter, stronger and typically better equipped to handle loads.

InTech does amazing stuff
ATC pretty high end too

Just ordered a 8.5x18 +4' V nose R&R with windows/awning/ac/power/lights/fold out bed/finished interior
Not quite InTech level, but all Aluminum frame, Torsion axles and only @3500lbs dry as equipped.
http://rnrtrailers.com/product/alumi...er-vdc-series/
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by untraceable
Have you looked at the builders that custom make trailers? They are closer to a cargo trailer than a camper, but likewise, the trailers are far lighter, stronger and typically better equipped to handle loads.

InTech does amazing stuff
ATC pretty high end too

Just ordered a 8.5x18 +4' V nose R&R with windows/awning/ac/power/lights/fold out bed/finished interior
Not quite InTech level, but all Aluminum frame, Torsion axles and only @3500lbs dry as equipped.
http://rnrtrailers.com/product/alumi...er-vdc-series/
I have not. Any idea on pricing?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

From 5k to sky is the limit with these ala cartel custom shops.

Our R&R is about 13k as we have it
ATC's I've seen around 30k
InTech even higher. Kind of a if you have to ask basis
Old 10-19-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2015 Gulfstream Track & Trail 26RTH, 6000# empty weight, that is a relatively bare bones toy hauler but is nice and my 2015 3.5EB SCrew pulls it well. Based on my estimates I am at just about payload but the truck does well. Although I have not yet visited a Cat scale my experience is that the toyhauler seems to load up the truck worse with no toys loaded since the weight of toys aft of the axles would offset some of the trailer load in front of the axles.

A motorcycle may not make much of a difference but I do notice it when pulling it with my RZR.

I would probably not be comfortable pulling my trailer with a 2.7L...I think its at about the limit of my 3.5L.

Last edited by Elyislander; 10-19-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Setting aside limitations on hitch weight, the Max weight rating of a trailer for the 2.7L is 8100lbs with the Payload Package. You're going to be hard pressed to find a toy hauler with a GVWR of less than that, especially one with a bed up front (which the smaller ones tend no t to have).

But, there are a some out there. Came across this one (I know nothing about the brand or model) - http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-ha...uper-lite/222/
Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 PM

so far I am liking the Grey Wolf 26RR, its GVWR is 7775 lbs.

Quick Reply: Looking for Toyhauler