Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit and towing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Leveling kit and towing?

What has everyone done that’s leveled the front end to the rear to prevent the reverse rake? I got some rough country 2” leveling spacers for the front but hesitant to install them due to towing our travel trailer.

Would i need to install corresponding 1” blocks in the rear?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 1tufgt
What has everyone done that’s leveled the front end to the rear to prevent the reverse rake? I got some rough country 2” leveling spacers for the front but hesitant to install them due to towing our travel trailer.

When I got my truck, two of my friends asked me if I was going to level it, and of course I didn't know what that was, and when it was explained to me why they leveled their truck I was even more confused by the explanation. I was confused why they would even ask would I level a truck knowing that I bought the truck to tow a trailer...neither one of them tow anything, knew their payloads, or knew their rear end ratio. One said his rear end was a "five and a half ft. bed"...lol.

Is it true that guys level their truck because they find the extra height in the rear desighed for payload unattractive?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maury82
When I got my truck, two of my friends asked me if I was going to level it, and of course I didn't know what that was, and when it was explained to me why they leveled their truck I was even more confused by the explanation. I was confused why they would even ask would I level a truck knowing that I bought the truck to tow a trailer...neither one of them tow anything, knew their payloads, or knew their rear end ratio. One said his rear end was a "five and a half ft. bed"...lol.

Is it true that guys level their truck because they find the extra height in the rear desighed for payload unattractive?
Correct, it's more for the looks of the unloaded truck to not have the rake. I haven't installed them due to finding out this counteracting issue.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Curious to know others opinion on this. I'm no leveling expert but I'm more opposed to leveling and rather have the opposite, lower. Not low like a low rider but rather just a bit lower for us older and shorter folks. I have nothing against lowering and leveling but rather curious why folks do it but my best guess is aesthetics? I love my rake and once the TT drops on the ball its leveled even before I put the WD bars on. The only issue with the current (stock) height is that I have a thule xsporter to put our kayaks on and the rake plus height doesn't help all of my 5'4....okay fine, 5'3 lol. I'm vertically challenged here :P If this kayak fishing goes well, I will have to resort to a modified jetski trailer. I apologize for digressing.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought my truck used and it already had the leveling kit installed along with Billstien 5100's. The truck sits perfectly level unloaded and when I hook up our travel trailer with an approx. 750# tongue weight, attach/tension the WDH bars the truck sits about 1/2" higher in the front than when it's unloaded.

Not sure what the OP is hauling but if it requires a WDH (over 500# tongue weight) then you should be able to maintain the same level of the truck - that's the purpose of the WDH, distributing the weight on the hitch to the front of the truck and some back to the trailer axles.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:52 AM
The Member's Member

Received 61 Likes on 19 Posts

My understanding is that leveling kits are purely aesthetic. It gives your truck a more "agressive" looking stance, and when you have bigger tires it's almost necessary to level your truck. In terms of towing, leveling your truck is not recommended. I guess it's all about what you use your truck for. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:54 AM
The Member's Member

Received 61 Likes on 19 Posts

perhaps you could install some air bags?
Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 AM

I'll be using a WDH, which I know I could adjust it to get back to that level stance but without I could see it having the front rake.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

What has everyone done that’s leveled the front end to the rear to prevent the reverse rake?
If you use your F-150 for towing, then you don't try to change the stance of truck to make it look "better" when not towing. Unless you have a PE in chassis engineering, you probably won''t get it right.. When towing, use a good WD/sway control hitch properly adjusted. Leave the suspension changes to the high school boys that are trying to impress teenage girls.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
If you use your F-150 for towing, then you don't try to change the stance of truck to make it look "better" when not towing. Unless you have a PE in chassis engineering, you probably won''t get it right.. When towing, use a good WD/sway control hitch properly adjusted. Leave the suspension changes to the high school boys that are trying to impress teenage girls.
LOL!!!!! Affirmative.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and towing?