I wanna double check my blue ox wdh setup - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.

I wanna double check my blue ox wdh setup

Reply

 
 
 
Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default I wanna double check my blue ox wdh setup

any quick way to do this to make sure the dealer installed everything within the correct measurements recommended by blue ox. After it was installed at the dealer I measured the chain brackets and they were 29” from the coupler as recommended by blue ox now I’m wondering how do I know how many links to use for proper flex and weight distribution and I want to make sure the ball is at the right height. I had a friend have his ball installed upside down as opposed to facing up now granted he has an f250 and once the ball was repositioned it changed his towing experience and control. When the bars were hooked up so I could tow the trailer home we settled on 7 links and the measurement from ground to bottom of each wheel well was 38” exactly so it appeared level but that’s with an empty camper, we tried 8 links but there was noticeable flex in the bars and quite a bit of tension when undoing the chains like they were under to much pressure but maybe that’s the way this hitch works best, I’m not sure that’s why I ask. Thanks for any advice.

*updated 4/18 on last post.

Last edited by Olotti76; 04-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Olotti76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,703
Thanked 1,003 Times in 825 Posts
Default

Without a scale, its a guess. You want to return as much weight back to the front axle as possible. Unhook the trailer and let the truck settle. Bounce the front a few times, then measure the front fender height. Hook the trailer back up, tension the bars and see if the front returns to the unloaded height or close to it. If not increase the tension one link at a time. FYI you will need to crank the truck and trailer up together with the jack and you will still have to muscle the cams, if you don't then you wont have enough tension, and yes the bars do flex a bit.

To know for sure .take the rig to the scales, with the truck and trailer fully loaded, and weigh with and without the bars hooked, and note the difference.

Go to this thread and there is a link in the second sentence to a work sheet. https://www.f150forum.com/f82/number...9/#post5446734
acdii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Without a scale, its a guess. You want to return as much weight back to the front axle as possible. Unhook the trailer and let the truck settle. Bounce the front a few times, then measure the front fender height. Hook the trailer back up, tension the bars and see if the front returns to the unloaded height or close to it. If not increase the tension one link at a time. FYI you will need to crank the truck and trailer up together with the jack and you will still have to muscle the cams, if you don't then you wont have enough tension, and yes the bars do flex a bit.

To know for sure .take the rig to the scales, with the truck and trailer fully loaded, and weigh with and without the bars hooked, and note the difference.

Go to this thread and there is a link in the second sentence to a work sheet. https://www.f150forum.com/f82/number...9/#post5446734
so without the scales which I wanna get it to one day I want the front fender the same height hooked to the tt as without? What about wheel well height or are the measurements one and the same. I also understand that the correct ball height needs to be 1-2Ē higher than the leveled trailer so Iím thinking thatís something I can double check, Iíll have to go through the manual for the recommended numbers but like you said the scale tells all becuase wonít the loaded trailer need to be at diff tension on the bars than the empty tt.
Olotti76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,703
Thanked 1,003 Times in 825 Posts
Default

Thats correct. Front wheel well/fender height. Measure to the center of the opening at the lip. Since you say it is at 38 all around, sounds pretty close. You also have the correct info on the ball height, so tht just leave the bar tension and that you can adjust as you load everything up.

How did it handle bringing it home?
acdii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Thats correct. Front wheel well/fender height. Measure to the center of the opening at the lip. Since you say it is at 38 all around, sounds pretty close. You also have the correct info on the ball height, so tht just leave the bar tension and that you can adjust as you load everything up.

How did it handle bringing it home?
ok thanks I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting all this info properly. So when itís loaded for our first trip to double check itís level can I pull onto flat ground and remeasure the wheel well heights. On the way home empty the truck pulled it like it wasnít even there I couldnít have been happier, going 65mph the truck hovered right around 2000rpm on mostly flat terrain. At one point there is a stretch of wavy like road it feels like ur on a galloping horse and this was pretty exaggerated pulling the new tt but I think itís because the whole setup with the truck and tt is so long the nose of my truck was bucking noticeably so I didnít know if that was a wdh issue or just the long length of the truck and the tt otherwise couldnít be happier with the towing of the truck.
Olotti76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default


Olotti76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:40 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,703
Thanked 1,003 Times in 825 Posts
Default

The bucking could be not enough tongue weight. I noticed the bars have no curve to them, so when you get on an undulating road some tension will be applied to the spring bars and that will cause what you felt. Once you get it loaded up and ready to travel, you should be fine. Somewhere I have pics of the bars on mine, they have a pretty good curve to them and they are 1500 pound bars. I'll go look for that post and link it here.

EDIT: Heres the link to the post with my setup. https://www.f150forum.com/f82/equili...9/#post5474329


Last edited by acdii; 04-11-2018 at 09:54 PM.
acdii is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acdii For This Useful Post:
untraceable (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
The bucking could be not enough tongue weight. I noticed the bars have no curve to them, so when you get on an undulating road some tension will be applied to the spring bars and that will cause what you felt. Once you get it loaded up and ready to travel, you should be fine. Somewhere I have pics of the bars on mine, they have a pretty good curve to them and they are 1500 pound bars. I'll go look for that post and link it here.
so I have the 1500 lb bars on mine too my tongue weight was just over 1000lbs with a loaded tt so I went with the bigger bars. Initially when we set it up at the dealer we put 8 links in the bracket and there was a noticeable bow to the bars which I believed is what they were supposed to have, the dealer was uncomfortable with that so he backed it down to 7 links, dis laimer I was told they donít normally put on blue ox systems they use eaz lift set ups which is why I want to double check this system as itís designed to do its thing only with the right setup. Iíll take it out and try 8 links again and take measurements what Iím gonna have to get comfortable with is jacking the hitch up so high to be able to put 8 links on the chain connection.
Olotti76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,703
Thanked 1,003 Times in 825 Posts
Default

Click the link I posted, there is a pic of the bars with the jack extended as much as possible.
acdii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Click the link I posted, there is a pic of the bars with the jack extended as much as possible.
i saw that thanks for sending it and all the advice this has helped a lot. Iím thinking with the tt loaded Iíll prob have to go to 8 links, when my truck was hooked up the first time with 8 links it had the curve in the bars just like yours. Iím not terribly concerned with the tt dry but with it loaded I def wanna get the wdh set right. So what if I load the trailer prob estimating itíll be around 6700lbs, I go to 8 links and the front wheel well measurements donít jibe? Raise the camper up and go up another link and vice verse if the front and back wheel well measurements to match.
Olotti76 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I wanna double check my blue ox wdh setup


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: