Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting first cargo trailer - Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting first cargo trailer - Advise?

Hi.

I am about to purchase my first cargo trailer and would appreciate any advise.

58 days ago I purchased my 2017 SCREW 4x4 157" 5.0L V8 3.73 axle based on the wonderful information on this site. (I drove my sales guy nuts as I kept changing requirements based on research here...). My trucks payload is 1793. The GVWR is only 7050. (Wish the payload were higher, but can't change now). I have the trailer package (not max, which is only available w/ the turbo.)

My wife and I civil war re-enanct. She wants a place to store our canvas tents and tarps, cast iron cookware, etc. I want a way to haul my 800# Harley.

She also wants to start camping out west with our canvas (and maybe the bike).
Therefore, I'm considering:

- 7x12 (6x12 is more standard; I figure extra foot can't hurt)
- tandem axle (better for highway)
- ramp (I don't want want to wear my self out loading and loading)
- 6" taller (I'm 6' and don't like banging bald head)
- Aluminum (legend?) - lighter weight, less risk of rust

Question:

1> Can my truck comfortably haul a 7x12 cargo trailer?
2> V-nose or Square (I've heard weight distribution systems difficult w/ V-nose)
3> New or used?
4> Additional features you love on your cargo trailer or wish you had?
5> Any of my considerations above incorrect?

Thanks.

J.R.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks like you need a toy hauler setup. Comfort and room for your toys! Hence the name hehehe Just look at your door stickers and let them guide you to what you can pull weight wise.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

It will easily tow a 7 x 12 tandem, and as far as V or flat, wont matter, either one will sap the fuel economy. I haul a 6 x 12 V, and get the same MPG as I do hauling a 28' Coleman travel trailer. The 6 x 12 is no more than 2200# loaded while the TT is 6300#, so it isn't the weight, but the wind resistance.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 7X14 tandem axle v-nose Rance Renegade aluminum. max weight is 7k. Trailer only weights 1770lbs empty. Unless it is really windy I don't even know it is behind our 2016 F150 3.5 eco with basic tow package 5000lbs limit. Mine has a raised roof so I can walk right in without even coming close to hitting my head. Heck when I bought the trailer 2 years ago I pulled it with my 2013 Explorer XLT. As said you will notice mostly in the fuel mileage...
Old 08-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by FordinBarryCo
My trucks payload is 1793. The GVWR is only 7050. ...Therefore, I'm considering:
- 7x12 (6x12 is more standard; I figure extra foot can't hurt)
7x12 is available from most manufacturers of cargo trailers. The extra foot wide will hurt MPG, but not enough to write home about...
- 6" taller (I'm 6' and don't like banging bald head)
78" interior height is available on very few cargo trailers. And that extra height will increase your frontal area which will reduce MPG even further. But I found at least one that meets your specs = Pace American PXT "Exteme" cargo trailer.
http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers...-cargo-trailer

Ramp rear door is an option. so you probably need to locate your PaceAmerican dealer and special order your new trailer.

1> Can my truck comfortably haul a 7x12 cargo trailer?
Depends on the weight you haul in the pickup and trailer.

The GVWR of that PXT cargo trailer above is 7,000 pounds. When the trailer is loaded for bear with a good weight-distributing hitch, the gross hitch weight will be around 1,000 pounds. That leaves 793 pounds for you and DW and any other weight you haul in the cab or bed.

You can 'make do' with your pickup, but you'll have to pay attention to the weight you haul if you don't want to be overloaded.

2> V-nose or Square (I've heard weight distribution systems difficult w/ V-nose)
If you order a V-nose or U-nose trailer, make the dealer guarantee that your choice of high-end WD hitch will mount on the tongue without having to cut holes in the nose of the trailer. Safest bet is to not order a V-nose or U-nose trailer.

3> New or used?
Good luck in finding a 7x12 cargo trailer with 6.5" interior height and ramp rear door. Easiest just to order a new trailer to get exactly what you want (and are willing to pay for).

4> Additional features you love on your cargo trailer or wish you had?
I have a "high end" 7x14 CarMate cargo trailer with torsion axles and LED lights. Love both the torsion axles and the LED lights. The PXT linked to above has both torsion axles and LED lights.

5> Any of my considerations above incorrect?
You barely mentioned the weight-distributing hitch.

Do not buy a cheap WD hitch. Be sure it is a high-end hitch that includes excellent built-in sway prevention/control - not friction-based sway bars. The good ones list for around $1,000 and can be found new on the internet for $500 to $700.

On my 7x14 cargo trailer I use a Reese Strait-Line Trunnion Bar.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66084.html
Note that one includes the adjustable shank, which is required. But the same hitch without the shank is also available for about $100 less.

Other high-end sway-control WD hitches include the Equal-I-Zer, Blue Ox SwayPro, and Husky Centerline HD.