Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCVWR getting close

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Default GCVWR getting close

When I scaled after picking up the 1994 Citation Supreme 27RKS w/ superslide
I was 202 kg over GCVWR
After putting truck and trailer on diet
I am now loaded for camping at 232 kg over GCVWR
So far
Removed from truck
rubber bed matt
Trifold tonnue cover
winter collection of junk

Removed from trailer
sofa bed, solid maple table and chairs
wooden blocking left by previos owner
sliding door to hallway
tv

Added to trailer
230 watt 2 panel solar with controllers
2 HD 6 volt batteries 1 24 grp battery and invertor to run my CPAP Machine
Stereo system with Sirius
Plastic light weight blocking and chocks
Stair carpets
Wicker furniture

Loaded for camping
full compliment of food dishes, cooking utensils
Beer Beer and more Beer
propane all the goodies, ground matts lawn chairs axe, jack and all the other chit you take along
Full fresh water tank, 56 gallon
So at this point all my gains in weight reduction are lost to mods and being camp ready

the best number at the scale was my rear truck axel weight
Empty I was over GAWR rating by 16 KG
Now loaded for bear I'm under RAWR by 104 KG
Front axel on truck was never an issue but it went from 1490 kg to 1420 kg
trailer axels went from 3440 kg to 3660 kg
Not much else to do to lighten, propably pull the microwave, will never use it anyway, and its behind axels.
thin out pots and pans a bit, don't need them all, its easy to have too much
May do a test next weekend and switch the Pulrite hitch and go to standard hitch, that would save about 120 pounds and not sure if I need the pulrite with this trailer.
Fuel milage after 3 trips seems to be around 21 liters per 100
with the old 21 footer it was the same
So at this point, i'm under on payload and over on GCVWR, hmmm
Couple more thing to try before it goes cross country in august
Attached Thumbnails GCVWR getting close-18199006_10213136340947308_2888042546694729960_n.jpg  

Last edited by Martiangod; 05-22-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

GL, hopefully it wont be a sway monster.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I was 202 kg over GCVWR
After putting truck and trailer on diet
I am now loaded for camping at 232 kg over GCVWR
the best number at the scale was my rear truck axel weight
Empty I was over GAWR rating by 16 KG
Now loaded for bear I'm under RAWR by 104 KG
Front axel on truck was never an issue but it went from 1490 kg to 1420 kg
There's 2 instances where your truck appears to have gotten heavier after removing weight. I only have a rudimentary understanding of physics, but I don't think that's how it works.

would you mind listing all the actual weights and the ratings.

GVWR
GCWR
GAWR
Rated Payload (OR actual weight of empty truck w/o trailer)
Pin Weight.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Not a sway monster, still pulling pretty good, can definatly feel the truck more as it got lighter. Part of the truck getting lighter is the fresh water tank is at back of trailer.
This is a bit of a game for me. 35 year RV tech just seeing if it can be done.
But having said that, Ford says my truck as optioned can pull a 9200 lb 5th wheel, I call Bull****, yes it can pull it, but should it???
For a newbie inexperienced puller....Dangerous.
For an experienced puller...Hmmmm.
Most likely scenario right now is Ill be movin up to a 3/4 ton before my cross country.
The minute you go to what Ford says you can pull, you are over your GCVWR, I don't care how your optioned, your over.
I know at this point, I can get myself under GCVWR, its only another 230 KG, but should I ?
Dump the water, ditch the microwave and I'm there.
When the salesman tells you, shur, you can pull it, when the manufacturers call it 1/2 tonne towable, the red flags should go up.

Now the truck never got heavier, what I said was with the trailer weight reduction, and the truck weight reduction, Gross went up by about 30 kg, but the truck actually dropped and gave me a 100 kg cushion below gawr

gawr 1724 according to Ford, Actual with loaded trailer, now 1620...Win !!!!
gawr front 1565, actual with loaded trailer, now 1420 ....Win !!!!
gvwr 3198 according to Ford. Actual with loaded trailer 3040 ... WIn!!!
Allowable 5th wheel according to Ford 4082.331 kgactuall trailer axel weight 3660 ...Win !!!
gcvwr 6468 according to Ford Actual with loaded trailer 6700 .... Loose ???

So even getting the truck loaded below its allowable GVWR with the loaded trailer, and the loaded trailer being below what Ford says my truck will pull, i'm 232 kg over gcvwr.
Weight being pulled is the weight not on the truck, which in my case is the weight of the trailer axels, because pin weight is now truck weight with payload
Trailer axel weight 3660 kg, which is 8068.919 lbs, about 1200 lbs under what Ford says I can Pull
So the jest of my story, is under on each individual weight on all accounts t, but over on GCVWR
I beat the payload game on a heavy 5th wheel, but still losing the game....story of my life....lol

Attached Thumbnails GCVWR getting close-20170125_171407.jpg  

Last edited by Martiangod; 05-22-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
There's 2 instances where your truck appears to have gotten heavier after removing weight. I.
Might not of been clear, 202 was gcvw over with trailer as I bought it, the gcvw was after I made a lot of weight mods and then set up for camping, so I gained 32 kg total.
not sure if that helps, truck didn't gain weight, gcvw weight only gained 32 kg, which means I deleted a lot to get loaded only 32 kg more then the trailer I bought.

Last edited by Martiangod; 05-22-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Martiangod
(rear) gawr 1724 according to Ford, Actual with loaded trailer, now 1620...Win !!!! ...
gvwr 3198 according to Ford. Actual with loaded trailer 3040 ... WIn!!!

Those are the important weight ratings. Since you're under those two, then you're not really overloaded over the payload capacity or rear axle capacity of your tow vehicle.

gcvwr 6468 according to Ford Actual with loaded trailer 6700 .... Loose ???
No such thing as GCVWR, so I assume you intended GCWR (gross combined weight rating). If loaded to the GCWR, your drivetrain should not overheat on interstate highway grades, and you should not be the slowpoke holding up traffic on 6% grades when climbing hills or mountain passes.

Exceeding the GCWR of your tow vehicle by ~500 pounds should not be a cause for worry unless you climb lots of hills and mountain passes. Even then, you'll be okay if you keep an eye on the tranny temp gauge and don't allow it to jump into the yellow zone, or if you have a digital tranny gauge don't allow more than 225° F.

If your idiot gauge jumps into the yellow zone, or if your digital gauge gets up to 225°, then pull over and stop and put the tranny in park, then elevate the idle RPM to 1,200 or a bit more and sit there twiddling your thumbs until the tranny cools off.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by Martiangod
Might not of been clear, 202 was gcvw over with trailer as I bought it, the gcvw was after I made a lot of weight mods and then set up for camping, so I gained 32 kg total.
not sure if that helps, truck didn't gain weight, gcvw weight only gained 32 kg, which means I deleted a lot to get loaded only 32 kg more then the trailer I bought.
I got ya now. The wording just didn't make sense in my mind.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on what's going on and where weights should be.

These trucks can pull way more than they can tow. And they can tow way more than they should.

Also, I think I'd step up to a 1 ton instead of a 3/4. There's not much price difference but the 1-ton with similar trim will have a higher GVWR
Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

That is odd that your can be under all the weight ratings and still exceed combined. Any way you look at it, as long as the truck itself isn't overloaded and the trailer has god working brakes and not excessively heavy or mis-adjusted, you should do good with it.

It still looks odd having a little truck with a huge trailer behind it, then again I have seen some trailers that dwarf an F350.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by acdii
That is odd that your can be under all the weight ratings and still exceed combined. Any way you look at it, as long as the truck itself isn't overloaded and the trailer has god working brakes and not excessively heavy or mis-adjusted, you should do good with it.

It still looks odd having a little truck with a huge trailer behind it, then again I have seen some trailers that dwarf an F350.
I have the same problem. My GCWR and the Ford brochure tow rating are my limiting factors.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:44 AM

the trailer diet helped in being able to stay in the ballpark for gcwr once loaded for camping
After many trips to the scales, the one that brought my rear axel weight down the most was removing the trifold tonneu and rubber ford floor matt.
Its amazing 2 little things( in my mind ) Make such a big difference

Quick Reply: GCVWR getting close