Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCVWR Calculation

Old 03-21-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GCVWR Calculation

Hi all...looking at a used F150 and trying to determine if it will fit my needs.

The truck specifics are:
2018 5.0L V8
"tow package"
3.73 axle
10 Speed Transmission

This is a truck coming off rental and has no trailer hitch but supposedly has the "tow package". I didn't see the trailer brake control in it. Worried it does not have the transmission cooler and since I left the lot already I would have to go back and check. From my research without it your towing capacity drops to 5000# from roughly 11,000#

I have the VIN but a Ford dealer was unable to tell the salesman anything definitive. This is an Enterprise Car Sales truck coming off rental. Worried they're speaking to me in circles to close the sale of the truck. I found other discrepancies in the listing for it and seems all of their cars are listed incorrectly for things such as engine size, etc.

I need to tow 8000# so don't want to buy something undersized.

thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:09 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Nope, don't buy it as it wont be setup for that much weight. Red flag when there is no receiver in the rear, that means it has none of the components you need.

For that much weight, assuming that is GVWR and not UVW, you want an XLT with either the HD tow package or Max Tow, and a payload in excess of 1800 pounds. A Lariat and up, unless its a barebones 500 or 501a, won't have the payload for that much weight as they pretty much top off at 1600 pounds, and higher ones are rare.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Nope, don't buy it as it wont be setup for that much weight. Red flag when there is no receiver in the rear, that means it has none of the components you need.

For that much weight, assuming that is GVWR and not UVW, you want an XLT with either the HD tow package or Max Tow, and a payload in excess of 1800 pounds. A Lariat and up, unless its a barebones 500 or 501a, won't have the payload for that much weight as they pretty much top off at 1600 pounds, and higher ones are rare.
Yep. I'm still not getting a good answer on the tow package from them. Seemed fishy when I questioned why no trailer hitch if there's a tow package. The answer was that they have the tow package but no hitches so people don't tow with them. Big red flag there with that kind of an answer. I am going to check for a transmission cooler as I was able to see what the F150's have and now know what to look for. If it has that the only thing I would have to do is get a trailer brake controller and a hitch. To save $4 or $5K it might be worth it to do that sweat equity.

The funny thing is I can't understand why they would get them with the 3.73 axle which Ford lists them as being able to tow 10,900# or 11,200 depending on the cab. I was able to verify that with a VIN decoder to make sure it wasn't another "mistake" on the listing. I hate dealing with car dealers and this was a no haggle outfit so was hoping they'd have what I need.

Chuck
Old 03-22-2019, 08:05 AM

Does it have the 4/7 outlet on the bumper next to the license plate? It should if it has a tow package. More important thing to look for is the payload. That tells you whether or not you can tow what you want. For the trailer weight you posted, it should be at least 1800 pounds or you more than likely will be overweight.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Received 346 Likes on 242 Posts

While that answer is unusual, I wouldn't be surprised if Enterprise purchased enough trucks that they were able to get a "tow package minus receiver" setup, and I can see why that would make sense from their perspective (the amount of stupid stuff people do with rentals would probably make for an entertaining read).
Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 AM

@kbroderick One way to find out. It already has the 3.73 axle. I found out where the transmission cooler is. I'll go look and If it has that I can install the trailer brake controller and hitch myself.

And ya that is an unusual answer and the reason sounded plausible but maybe they got it "for free" buying in volume and they make it up on the back end on the resale value to guys like me.

@acdii it is there. Saw it myself.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Don't forget the payload!!! All that is meaningless if it has less than the payload you need for your trailer.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
Don't forget the payload!!! All that is meaningless if it has less than the payload you need for your trailer.
Yep. Ford's website lists the towing capacity for the 2018 F150 5.0L V8 at 10,900#. Depending on cab I think it goes to 11,200# Payload capacity is 3270 from what i can see of the 5.0l v8.

Definitely a little opaque trying to decipher.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

A Payload of 3270 is superduty range. Are you sure this is a 150? Check the yellow sticker on the door jam, it lists the payload.

It's not unusual for a rental agency vehicle to have combinations of components that you can't get from a dealership. Mfg's will often push overstocked packages to fleets so they don't upset the value-adder system at the dealerships. And yes, when you are a large fleet purchaser, you can get special requests like no hitch on all these two package F150's we're buying because towing is hard on engines and transmissions, most people don't know a thing about towing and will tow overweight, and one in ten will wreck the damn thing.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
A Payload of 3270 is superduty range. Are you sure this is a 150? Check the yellow sticker on the door jam, it lists the payload.
Agreed.

The F250 in my signature has a payload (door sticker) of 2766.

Until the actual door stickers, citing the payload, GVWR, GAWR, axle ratios are provided, we can keep guessing at what this truck is potentially capable of or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GCVWR Calculation