Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First tow Tomm with my truck, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First tow Tomm with my truck, couple questions

So I have my “new” 13’ f150 and I’m picking my camper up out of storage Tomm so I’ll be experiencing towing with my truck for the first time. So couple questions:

1. Will the onboard trailer brake be on once I plug in the camper to the truck or do I have to turn the brake “on” from a drop down menu in the dash display in order for it to engage.

2. Do I need to push the button on the end of the shifter so the truck is in tow/haul mode?

I think thats it for now that immediately comes to mind unless there unless there is anything else I should be aware of.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

If the fuse and relay have been installed, then the trailer connection SHOULD pop up. If not, you can do it via the menu, but you still need the relay and fuse. Often they are in a bag in the glove box.

You will need to adjust the trailer brakes.

If tongue weight exceeds 500 pounds, you will need a WDH. And you will need to verify you are not exceeding your payload.

Tow/haul mode is explained in your manual, which you can also find online at owner.ford.com. Helps with heavy loads by changing shift points.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
If the fuse and relay have been installed, then the trailer connection SHOULD pop up. If not, you can do it via the menu, but you still need the relay and fuse. Often they are in a bag in the glove box.

You will need to adjust the trailer brakes.

If tongue weight exceeds 500 pounds, you will need a WDH. And you will need to verify you are not exceeding your payload.

Tow/haul mode is explained in your manual, which you can also find online at owner.ford.com. Helps with heavy loads by changing shift points.
well here was nothing like what you speak of in the glove box, guess here’s hoping to that their installed. If that’s the case how do I know the trailer brake is engaged, does it pop up on the dash display? And is adjusting the trailer brake as easy as hitting the plus or minus on the control itself.

My old old camper is like 3000lbs I used to tow it with my edge w/ tow package so prob don’t need the wdh for this just to bring it back to the house I do have a new blue ox for our new tt and I did/ do have one for this camper it’s just getting sold with the camper hopefully Sunday.

Ill look up the tow/haul mode specifics. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-07-2018, 10:32 PM

Well after hooking up the camper the trailer brake worked right away, I always suspected the previous owner towed something and when I went to stats on the dash display for the trailer brake it had 2000 recorded miles on it already. Anyway brake worked great but I had the intensity on about 7.5 for a 2600 camper so idk how much I’ll adjust for the 6000lb camper we’re picking up Monday.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

Don’t know for sure but that sounds like it was set to high for that light of a trailer.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Olotti76
Well after hooking up the camper the trailer brake worked right away, I always suspected the previous owner towed something and when I went to stats on the dash display for the trailer brake it had 2000 recorded miles on it already. Anyway brake worked great but I had the intensity on about 7.5 for a 2600 camper so idk how much I’ll adjust for the 6000lb camper we’re picking up Monday.
You probably want to hookup the camper (and the weight distribution hitch), properly adjust the WDH, and then set the brakes properly.

Quick Reply: First tow Tomm with my truck, couple questions